[fvc-wat-disc] Total ballots ...'wasted' votes

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Mar 1 00:10:06 EST 2017

John Cooper wrote:

> I'm just asking why 5% is the 'magic' number? How is that
> percentage justified?

Different voting system proposals have different thresholds for the
percentage of votes needed before seats are gained. I've seen anything
from 3% to 15% proposed for the threshold.

But I think that if there are 338 seats in Parliament, then 1/338th of
the vote should be sufficient to elect a member to Parliament. That's
about 0.3%, or 52,402 votes based on the results of the 2015 election.

Now someone is going to think that this will elect fringe parties, and
have the tail wag the dog. But when 52,402 voters all agree that a
particular view should be represented in Parliament, that should
result in at least one seat. In comparison, Marwan Tabbara got only
20,215 votes, and *he* got a seat...

And for one seat in Parliament to have any tail-wagging-the-dog
influence, there have to be at least 168 other members who agree, and
vote the same way. So, a single seat cannot, by itself, pass any
legislation without cooperation from other parties.

- --Bob.

On 2017-02-28 10:59 PM, John Cooper wrote:
> [...]
>> Hi Stu
>

>> So based on your argument, all votes must elect the winner or
>> none are of any value.
>
>> The fact is that only one candidate can be elected.
>
>> Why bother to have more than one political party and more than
>> one candidate?
>
>> Or as George Washington proposed: no political parties.
>

>> Maybe the “make every vote count" phrase is the ‘wrong choice’?
>

>> Maybe our way of selecting our political leaders by votes is all
>>  wrong.
>
>> Is there another way?
>
>> Is it possible to have consensus when thousands of people are
>> selecting a representative?
>

>> Based on voter intentions and the results in the last election,
>> more people are opposed to ‘first past the post’ than those who
>> support it.
>
>> Trudeau and the Liberals have chosen to ignore this for their own
>>  purposes.
>

>> I'm from the older generation too.
>
>> There are many of ‘our generation’ who do not vote because they
>> never did or they have become too cynical.
>

>> From: fvc-wat-disc
>> [mailto:fvc-wat-disc-bounces at listserv.thinkers.org] On Behalf Of
>>  STUART CHANDLER Sent: February-27-17 10:46 PM To: John Cooper;
>> 'FVC Waterloo Region Discussion' Subject: Re: [fvc-wat-disc]
>> Total ballots ...
>

>> Hi John.
>
>> I'm not sure about others, but I choose to use the term "wasted
>> vote" for a deliberate purpose. I use it for any potential
>> shocking effect it might have on the reader/listener‎, and I
>> always follow it with brackets stating something like: () to
>> explain what I mean by "wasted vote".
>
>> I've heard others advance the theory that no vote is wasted, but
>> I find I'm not interested ‎in pursuing that theory as I worry
>> that the opponents of PR will simply use it as a way to justify
>> their satisfaction with the status quo. I would not want to feed
>> their addiction to FPTP.
>

>> My vote in 2015 was one of the more than 9 Million "wasted
>> votes"‎, so I am taking it personally that the person I chose to
>> support was beaten by someone I was opposed to, so I am
>> effectively without representation in Parliament (at least from
>> my riding - and it appears from most other ridings as well,
>> particularly since all the Liberal MPs have betrayed those of us
>> who were voting for the concept of electoral reform).
>

>> I'm from the older generation, many of whom will continue to
>> exercise the civic responsibility to vote, even if my choice
>> doesn't win. But many others are discouraged from voting because
>> they do not expect their vote will actually affect the outcome.
>> Consequently, I believe we need to stick with identifying such
>> votes as wasted, in order to advance our cause "to make every
>> vote count". ‎(Otherwise that phrase is pointless.)
>

>> Sincerely.
>
>> Stu Chandler.
>

>> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

inkers.org