[fvc-wat-disc] "Local Proportional Representation"

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 17:47:33 EST 2017

It won't be as proportional as some of the systems, but that also depends
on what voters choose to do with their choice of how to vote as well as for
whom to vote.  But one of the big things with this system is the easy way
to make it more proportional over time.  So, instead of the talking point
that AV can lead to PR, this actually has a real chance of moving to a more
proportional system over time, with the top up MPs as census data allows
every 10 years.  Not to mention as more people become comfortable with it,
more people are likely to choose the PR option when casting their vote.

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Eleanor Grant <eleanor7000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Fair Voters,
>
> Cathy and Salim and I went to the meeting in Guelph Thurs evening about
> the new initiative called Local PR.  Their Liberal MP Lloyd Longford is
> prepared to push it forward if they get enough signatures.  They'll be at
> Guelph market Sat March 11.
>
> The speaker, Steve Dyck, said that Local PR has the support of Nathan
> Cullen, Eliz May, and Jean-Pierre Kingsley - and even our Anita N.  It has
> the advantage that it can be implemented more quickly than other PR systems
> because it would not require new riding boundaries or more MPs.  In this
> way we could call Trudeau's bluff, that there's "no consensus on a system"
> and "too hasty" to do by 2019.
>
> Web site AllVotesCount.ca
> Twitter @AllVotesCount , @SteveDyck .
>
> The system was not quite explained to my satisfaction.  I couldn't see how
> it's really different from STV - you just have *clusters* of ridings
> instead of larger ridings.  And every riding has to have one MP - so I
> couldn't see where it would actually work out be fair to the small
> parties.  Depending on the number of ridings in the cluster, the
> *threshold* at which a smaller party would get a seat would vary: the
> bigger the cluster, the lower the threshold.
>
> It appears to be less than true PR, but perhaps more palatable to those
> who are hesitant about change, and definitely an improvement over FPTP.
>
> Cath and Salim, and Anita, do you think I've explained it accurately?
>
> If Guelph succeeds in spear-heading Local PR, there'll be a push to get
> support across Canada in a very short time frame - like 2 months.
>
> FYI,
> Eleanor

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.