[fvc-wat-disc] "Local Proportional Representation"

Evan Rosamond erosamond at worldline.ca
Fri Mar 3 19:47:45 EST 2017

Hi Eleanor,

Yes, your concerns are accurately expressed. The AllVotesCount.ca
explanation seems a bit incomplete. So I got curious and tried to create
a test case based on the 5 ridings (Guelph-Oakville etc.) in the web
site's examples and the 2015 election results. To help me guess at 2nd
and following preferences, I assumed that most voters would continue to
vote for the same party until all the candidates were gone, and that
voters would stop assigning preference numbers at some time before
voting for all candidates.

In these 5 ridings, 3 Libs and 2 Cons were elected with FPTP. Using LPR,
the same 5 people would probably have been elected. The best
proportional result would have been 2 Libs, 2 Cons and 1 NDP. The only
weird happening was that Lisa Raitt would be the first candidate
elected, even though she never achieved the quota. All the other Milton
candidates were eliminated early, so Raitt was in. That's because Milton
had fewer votes cast than the other ridings.

So it seems like the results under LPR aren't going to much more
proportional than FPTP. Perhaps Byron Weber Becker can calculate a
Gallagher Index for us.

Still curious, I tried the same experiment with the 5 ridings in
Waterloo Region. This produced some bizarre results. With FPTP in 2015,
4 Libs and 1 Con were elected. The best proportional result would be 2
Libs, 2 Cons and 1 NDP. The LPR system generated those ideal numbers!
But the way it did that is going to cause a lot of howling from
candidates. Bardish Chagger got the most 1st preference votes in the 5
ridings, but was not elected in my LPR model. That's because the lower
preferences of defeated candidates (NDP and Green) pushed Diane Freeman
over the quota. So Chagger loses because there were still 2 other Libs
in the race from whom she couldn't get any lower preference votes,
whereas with Freeman, all the other NDP and Green candidates had been
defeated. This kind of thing happens, and it's why STV is sort of
proportional sometimes, but I bet the candidates won't like it.

According to the ERRE report, there are 2 other ways to count ranked
ballots. One is to assign points to the candidates based on the
preference number assigned. You get the number of points by subtracting
the preference number from the number of candidates. E.g. with 26
candidates, a voter who writes 1,2,3 on his ballot will be giving his
candidates 25,24,23 points. then the computer adds up all the points to
get a total for each candidate. This system has the advantage of
counting all the preferences. Candidates are not eliminated. There is
only 1 totalling of points, instead of many rounds of counting. I'm not
sure how this will work with LPR, it might make the result the same as
FPTP, but I think somebody should try to figure this out.

Another thing that might upset candidates is that they will have to rely
on votes coming from the other ridings in their cluster. They are
actually being elected/defeated by all the voters in the 5 ridings, but
they will be MP of only one if they win.

I hope this answers as many questions as it raises.

Evan