[fvc-wat-disc] Monday at 2:30pm: UofW CrySP Speaker Series on Privacy: Josh Benaloh — Elections with both Privacy and Integrity

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Mar 24 11:28:18 EDT 2017

The video of Josh Benaloh's lecture is now available:

https://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/events/20170313-Benaloh.mp4

Electronic voting with homomorphic encryption is an interesting
premise. Aside from the examples Benaloh mentions near the end of the
lecture, none of the e-voting schemes I've seen use any of these
techniques, and so are all fundamentally flawed.

I suspect the public or election officials will be resistant to
accepting the changes needed to voting procedures to properly
implement electronic voting. It may even be the case that some
techniques (issuing "fake" ballots") may be illegal under today's
election laws.

But one thing is clear: E-voting naively implemented as it is today
preserves neither the privacy nor integrity of the election.

- --Bob.

On 2017-03-12 02:54 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Here's an interesting intersection of two of my interests:
> Electoral Reform and Cryptography:
>
> https://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/speakers/20170314-Benaloh
>
>> == Elections with both Privacy and Integrity  == Josh Benaloh,
>> Microsoft Research
>
>> March 13, 2017 2:30pm, in DC 1304
>
>> Abstract
>
>> Verifiable election technologies enable secret-ballot elections
>> to be conducted in such a way as to allow individual voters to
>> check that their votes have been properly counted—without
>> compromising privacy or subjecting themselves to coercion. These
>> technologies eliminate the need to place trust in equipment,
>> vendors, or even election officials.
>
>> This talk will describe the ideas and mechanisms that make
>> verifiable elections possible and examine some of the
>> instantiations and deployments. We can have elections that both
>> preserve voter privacy and achieve strong, publicly-verifiable
>> integrity.
>
>> Bio
>
>> Josh Benaloh is Senior Cryptographer at Microsoft Research and an
>>  elected director of the International Association for
>> Cryptologic Research. He earned an S.B. from the Massachusetts
>> Institute of Technology and M.S., M.Phil., and Ph.D. degrees from
>> Yale University where his 1987 dissertation 'Verifiable
>> Secret-Ballot Elections' introduced the first use of homomorphic
>> encryption. Dr. Benaloh spent three years as a postdoctoral
>> fellow at the University of Toronto and nearly five years as an
>> Assistant Professor at Clarkson University before joining
>> Microsoft where his research focuses on multi-party protocols,
>> elections, and crypto policy.
>
>> Outside of cryptography, Dr. Benaloh recently completed two
>> years as chair of the Citizen Oversight Panel for the Sound
>> Transit agency which is currently spending about $1 billion per
>> year developing transit infrastructure in the Seattle region. He
>> has also authored numerous puzzles for Seattle area puzzle events
>> and competitions.

- --

- --