[fvc-wat-disc] Trudeau spending the day with the Irish Taoiseach

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 12:59:52 EDT 2017

This is entertaining :).

I'm working on a webinar for the end of May with a former Labour TD from
Ireland. I talked to her for about half hour on the phone and the neatest
thing is when you find out that all the good things you read and say about
it works are actually how it works :)

Since I became fascinated with the idea of PR-STV about a year ago, I am a
bit more aware of Ireland's politics. Last election they had an anomoly -
time since 1989 that they were unable to put together a majority
(coalition) government. About 60 days of negotiations (lots of drama,
President threatening to call a new election which would have fixed
nothing).

In the end they have a minority coalition government with 4 Independents in
the cabinet. For some reason I just love this because it's so OPPOSITE what
we have here. Our Liberal MPs I think can't imagine what would happen if
they had to work with THOSE people. This kind of situation would probably
give some of them nightmares. Better have a LOOONG study on how PR affects
the "governance ecosystem" - to use the phrase from the Liberal ERRE
report. I think "governance ecosystem" is code for: "How in the hell could
I work with MPs from those other parties?"

And while this isn't normal for Ireland, it shows that politicians can get
creative and compromise and cooperate when they're pretty much out of other
options!

Can you imagine 4 Independents in Cabinet *here*? (Or even a few parties?).

How would the one-man decision making work then? Oh, it wouldn't.

How would the PMO Spin Machine work then? It wouldn't be quite so smooth or
to the benefit of just one party.

With such a supposedly "unstable" goverment, how does anything get done now
in Ireland? Check this out:

*http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ireland-votes-divest-fossil-fuels-climate-change-world-first-country-parliament-renewable-energy-a7549121.html
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ireland-votes-divest-fossil-fuels-climate-change-world-first-country-parliament-renewable-energy-a7549121.html>*

And this bill was put forward and passed by a TD who ISN'T in even in the
minority coalition government, despite the big party in the coalition
government voting no.

Anita