[fvc-wat-disc] Hard to remember this describes a democracy

Jay Judkowitz judkowitz at gmail.com
Sat May 27 09:13:41 EDT 2017

This is all absolutely correct and a big part of the reason I left the US.
Without electoral reform, Canada risks sliding down the same path.  We need
multi-party democracy that forces coalition and consensus building rather
than winner take all, zero sum game politics.  Ironically, having many
"factions" and shifting temporary per-issue alliances is exactly what the
men who wrote the Constitution intended.  Sadly, this was lost somewhere
early on and few Americans bother to read the Federalist Papers to
understand why it was such an important concept.

This week's Congressional election where the guy who beat up a reporter won
the election is an amazing example.  Not only did people still vote for him
because he was in their "tribe", but they excused rather than condemned the
behavior, even blaming the reporter who was beat up.  This is the logical
extension of the two party system.