[fvc-wat-disc] The Vote Has Been Counted And The Question Is What Do Liberals Stand For?

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Wed May 31 22:39:56 EDT 2017

Further to that, we had a provincial election in Nova Scotia yesterday or
the day before.  In spite of a laundry list of improvements made by
Elections Nova Scotia, turnout plummeted.

Read this article and especially the comments!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/record-low-voter-turn-out-nova-scotia-1.4139626

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Sharon Sommerville <
sharonsommerville at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear FairVoting Supporters,
>
> Today, the House of Commons voted 159 to 146 against adopting the
> recommendations of the Electoral Reform Committee. Two Liberal MPs voted
> for the motion: Nathaniel Erskine-Smith (Beaches-East York) and Sean Casey
> (Charlottetown).  Our thanks to MPs Erskine-Smith and Casey for keeping
> the promise they campaigned on and standing up for what they believe in.
>
> Our local Liberal MPs did not support the motion.  We have heard a
> variety of reasons: couldn't support an NDP motion, couldn't support a
> referendum and no national consensus on change or a voting system.
>
> We elected the Liberal Party to offer leadership on electoral reform. For
> electoral reform, leadership means making the case for change.  Instead of
> leading, the LPC hid behind a bogus consultation process and claimed
> there was no consensus.
>
> Strengthening Canada's democracy through establishing a fair and equitable
> electoral system is non-partisan issue because democracy is a non-partisan
> issue.
>
> There are a number of ways to deal with a referendum if there is the will
> to do so but if you are looking for a backdoor, you will find one.
>
> *The movement toward a fair voting system for Canada isn't over, it isn't
> even close.*
>
> More Canadians than ever understand the need for electoral reform. We will
> keep working until Canada has an electoral system that serves Canadians not
> just the two largest political parties.  This issue is alive and will be an
> election issue in 2019.
>
> Tonight Liberal MPs across the country should be asking themselves what
> they actually stand for; as Anita Nickerson's outstanding letter in
> yesterday's Record said: if you don't represent your campaign promises and
> you don't represent the evidence and you don't represent the wishes of your
> constituents, what do you represent?
>
> See the full letter here:
>
> https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/7341308-
> government-should-keep-its-promise/
>
> So many thanks to everyone who phoned their MPs, who put in hours
> canvassing, who visited your MP or wrote letters to the Record and their
> MP.  What an amazing effort and a great campaign! Thank you all!
>
> FVC-WR will be at the tri-Pride festival this Saturday from noon to 8 pm
> in Victoria Park. It is always a great day and the weather promises to be
> sunny and warm.   Please come and see us there!
>
> Onward!
> Sharon
> for FVC-WR

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.