[fvc-wat-disc] Meeting with Bardish

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:56:24 EST 2017

What a wonderful message, Stephanie!  Way to exemplify the spirit of
cooperation we are aiming for with proportional representation!

I adore Bardish, I really do.  I have a lot of fond memories of my time as
Treasurer to her Presidency of the EDA back in the day.  Midnight phone
calls, the two of us at various executive board conventions, and along with
Sharon, the wedding of the current President.

I also have a file folder's worth of reasons why I don't trust her/this
cabinet, but as a cabinet minister, this could conceivably be something
they need to do to ensure they aren't being lobbied by an
organization--which of course she is, but if everyone is also a
constituent, that makes all the difference.

Bardish of course knows FVC is full of volunteers doing what they're doing
for no personal gain.  So I expect it could well be a happy coincidence for
her that obeying the strict rules on meetings can also provide the chill
factor.  She's good that way~!

Still, your point about going into the meeting with backs up on a personal
level would be counter-productive.  I would have also said negative
feelings, but as a cabinet minister she does bear some 'accountability' for
the broken promise and so why wouldn't we have negative feelings?

You can tell her from me that I'm sorry to be excluded from the meeting,
LOL.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Stephanie Janzen-Martin <
stephanie at janzenmartin.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll add my thoughts in here, if you don't mind. I am not a particular fan
> of the liberals (I'm NDP/Green) - but I have had several issues where I
> have been working with Bardish's office (here and Ottawa) for the last year
> or so. She and her staff have been extremely polite, positive and helpful,
> while working with me on big questions, despite there being no immediate
> fix available. (On another issue, they worked very hard with me over
> several weeks and found an immediate solution, which was great!)
>
> Maybe she really is trying to secretly intimidate the opposition by
> getting logistical info, or maybe this is a simple misunderstanding that is
> being escalated every time someone else responds in the email thread. If
> so, I am sure that any meeting we might get with her in this issue will be
> compromised if we go in assuming the worst. How can we expect to work for
> positive change if we are so convinced of such negative things about her,
> based on so little info?  If that is how the meeting is going to be
> started, then I'd rather not be a part of it, since I already have a great
> working relationship with her and her staff, and I don't want to jeopardize
> it with these negative assumptions.
>
> All I'm saying is that I would give the benefit of the doubt and get more
> info before assuming intimidation... :)
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> SJM
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Mary Jackes <mkj at bell.net> wrote:
>
>> I must say that this leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth.  It feels
>> like intimidation.
>> Best,
>>
>> Mary
>>

>> On 11/18/2017 9:21 AM, STUART CHANDLER wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Sharon for passing the Bardish email along.
>>
>> Holy crap!!  More proof that Bardish has a HUGE amount of nerve, and
>> indulges in covert/overt intimidation (although I'm sure she would cleverly
>> try to sell it as "genuine interest in her constituants". ‎ I have no doubt
>> that she has a pretty clear sense of the effect that "interest" (in having
>> the names and addresses of those interested in visiting her office -
>> particularly if coming with intent to complain or challenge) would have on
>> anyone so inclined.
>>
>> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.