[fvc-wat-disc] August Discussion Night, Wed 29 Aug 2018 in the Community Room at Bread and Roses

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Aug 19 20:08:39 EDT 2018

Hi everyone! For our upcoming Discussion Night on Wednesday, 29 August
2018 we'll be discussing the results of the provincial election in June.

I invite anyone who has done some analysis of the election to make a
short presentation. For example, if you've calculated how the seats
would have been distributed with an STV voting system, or which
electoral districts hold the most voting power, or how few votes it
might have taken to swing only a few ridings to change the outcome...

The format will be a 10 minute presentation of your analysis, followed
by a 10 minute Q&A.  We've got a couple of people already lined up, and
I suspect we'll have no trouble filling the two hours of Discussion
Night with, um, discussion.

In other news: October is filled with Electoral Reform referenda
throughout Canada!  There's one in British Columbia:

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2018/07/26/Need-Know-BC-Electoral-Referendum/

...and Prince Edward Island:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/06/13/pei-referendum_a_23457916/

...and Kingston:

https://www.thewhig.com/2018/02/06/city-adds-referendum-on-ranked-ballots-to-election/wcm/c6e0d18c-cf6b-b820-d1a6-39ff9bcbb0b5

...and right here in Waterloo Region, in Cambridge:

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story/7765556-cambridge-to-have-referendum-on-ranked-ballot-system/

For our Discussion Night on Wednesday, 26 September 2018 we'll meet at
the Blackwing Coffee Bar in Cambridge, and meet up with the "Yes!
Cambridge" campaign team, who are advocating for a "Yes" answer to the
question "Are you in favour of the City of Cambridge using a ranked
ballot voting system for the 2022 municipal election?"  We can also
discuss how to provide support to the other referenda taking place in
Canada.

-----

*What*: FairvoteWRC Discussion Night: Election Analysis
*When*: Wednesday, 29 August 2018 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
*Where*: Community Room, Bread and Roses Co-op
*Location*: 307 Queen Street South, Kitchener
*Map*: https://osm.org/go/ZXnwTLMg--?m=

PARKING:

If you're driving to Discussion Night at Bread And Roses, place a note
on the dashboard of your vehicle:

*Meeting in Community Room re: Apt 107 from 7-9pm*

and park in the north lot, on the other side of the Morrison-Reist
building (Map: https://osm.org/go/ZXnwTL0rw--?m= )

-----

*What*: FairvoteWRC Discussion Night: Referenda
*When*: Wednesday, 26 September 2018 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
*Where*: Blackwing Coffee Bar
*Location*: 135 George Street North, Cambridge, Ontario
*Map*: https://osm.org/go/ZXnsWDtB-?m=

-----

--Bob Jonkman, Co-Chair, Fair Vote Waterloo

Phone: +1-519-635-9413
E-mail: bjonkman at sobac.com

FairvoteWRC Contact Info:
Phone: +1–519–279–2990