[fvc-wat-disc] [fvc-wat-announce] Results from the BCreferendum on electoral reform

Dave Arthur arthurd23 at bell.net
Sat Dec 22 09:44:30 EST 2018

This is hugely disappointing for all of us and yes, we need to review.
I agree with Anita’s thoughts and I’m not sure we could have done much more or differently.
Look at some of the polling afterwards.
Young people voted 2 to 1 for PR.
Old people voted overwhelmingly against.
Greater Victoria and much of Vancouver voted for PR.
The rest of BC voted against.
Does anyone see the parallel with voters across Canada, especially in Ontario, who always vote Conservative?
Only 42% of ballots were mailed in and Canada has one of the lowest voter turnouts in the world.
Complacency and ignorance of the voters played a big part in this.
Add to that the negative misinformation put forward and paid for by big money that many BC folk ate up.
I watched some of the TV debate and the Liberal leader is a pugnacious jerk.
No more minority or coalitions or fringe parties getting power despite the fact that minority governments have a good record in Canada e.g. universal healthcare.
But partisan fighting and political racism is fine.
Am I too cynical to say there is a reason Canada is one of the few countries in the world that has not adopted PR?
Should we give up? No, but we need to find ways to combat the complacency and ignorance.
Can we trust political parties who have gone from losers to false majority winners? Obviously NOT!!
Is Justin listening??
Dave A

Sent from Mail for Windows 10