[fvc-wat-disc] Latest liberal tactic

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Jun 3 13:18:44 EDT 2018

Of course, voting for the best candidate in your riding has always been
the correct strategy, no matter what the polls or the politicians say today.

As long as our voting system is Single Member Plurality, ie.
Winner-Take-All (and "Winner" may be the candidate with only 29% of the
vote), the voters cannot expect that their concerns will be addressed by
an MPP that doesn't share those concerns. This means that if a voter's
strategic vote is successful, they've guaranteed they're getting a
candidate who won't act on their concerns.

Kathleen Wynne's exhortation that people should vote Liberal for a
minority government may just result in enough votes to win a few swing
ridings (eg. Kitchener--Conestoga). Strangely, conceding defeat may
actually be a winning strategy.

But regardless of the outcome, I doubt the three big parties will act on
implementing proportional representation, because there's always the
next election where they could win big with a minority of votes.

--Bob.