[fvc-wat-disc] Comparing voting systems

Evan Rosamond erosamond at worldline.ca
Thu Mar 29 15:34:51 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who attended last night's discussion, especially the noisy
ones. The comparison project is obviously a work in progress, so your
thoughts and arguments were helpful and appreciated.

It's likely to take some more discussing and arguing to make this chart
into a useful tool. For example:

  * Other proportionality needs better definition. A sort of Gallagher
    Index for gender, age, native, immigrant etc. would be great but I
    haven't found it yet. Will keep looking.
  * The three columns having to do with simplicity need a full rewrite.
    They are not well defined or evaluated.
  * The Increase # of MPs column need testing and approval by committee.
  * Are there any more attributes that should be on the chart? Are they
    measurable?
  * Weights need to be defined and agreed on by as big a group as we can
    get. Maybe we should try a Borda count election of weights.
  * When everything is working correctly, we can add some more voting
    systems.

  I've included two versions of the spreadsheet, a .ods for OpenOffice
users and a .xls which ought to be readable by any spreadsheet program.