[fvc-wat-disc] letter to the editor

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Wed May 9 03:26:58 EDT 2018

I used the Fair Vote"write a letter to the editor" tool to write the
following letter to the Record.  They called yesterday morning to get a
confirmation that I'd written it so they can consider it.  In my
experience that usually means they're going to publish it.

    Elections Ontario only requires a party to win 2% of the vote to
    qualify for the per vote subsidy.  2% doesn't sound like a lot but
    it is.  In the last Ontario election the Green Party won 4.84% of
    the votes cast.  That was 233,269 votes: nothing to sneeze at.

    If the lack of a seat in the legislature is the criteria the TV
    Consortium is using to exclude Mike Schreiner from the televised
    leadership debates, it hardly seems fair to include Mr Ford.  After
    all, he has never even run in a provincial election, much less won a
    seat.

    The idea that either Party Leader should be excluded from the
    leadership debate is ludicrous.  There are all sorts of reasons both
    Mike Shreiner and Doug Ford should be included in the Leadership
    debates.

    But the most important reason is because people-- voters-- deserve
    the opportunity to know who and what we are voting for.

    Regards,
    Laurel Russwurm

Here is the link to the Fair Vote Letter Writing Tool
https://www.fairvote.ca/lettertoeditordebates/
<https://www.fairvote.ca/lettertoeditordebates/>

They also have a handy "email the consortium" tool:
https://www.fairvote.ca/mediaconsortium/
<https://www.fairvote.ca/mediaconsortium/>

♦ *Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/>*  ♦
*Libreleft Books* <http://libreleft.com> ♦ *Laurel L. Russwurm's Free