[fvc-wat-disc] Karen Redman comments on ranked ballots

Jonathan Cassels cassels.jon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 13:14:09 EDT 2018

Karen Redman did an AMA on Reddit today, and I asked her about ranked
ballots in Cambridge and whether she'd be open to adopting it at the
regional level. I thought you all might like to see her answer:

There is a real appeal for the ranked ballot system and knowing that
whoever represents us at the Regional level will have received 50% or more
of the vote.

Voter turnout is alarmingly low normally citing between 30-40% for
Municipal Elections. Local elections matter because the decisions made at
Regional Council impact you, your family and business almost immediately.

I am in favour of finding a way to get more voters engaged in local
elections. Maybe ranked ballots could be considered as part of a larger
electoral reform package similar to Australia's where there is mandatory
voting? Anyone who does not vote is fined through the tax system.

I look forward to seeing the results of the referendum in Cambridge and
continuing the conversation.