[fvc-wat-disc] Tyranny of the false majority

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 21:59:11 EDT 2018

Hi Sharon:

Ok here it is:

In your Sep. 11 editorial, “Ford's dictatorial leadership suffers a
judicial setback”, you rightly point out the brazenness of changing the
rules in the middle of an election, and when a judge objects, invoking the
notwithstanding clause to override Charter rights.

Ford can dismiss the justice system all he wants, However, they protect our
charter rights from “the tyranny of the false majority”.

Do you see what I did there? Most so-called “majority” governments in
Canada were not supported by a majority of those that voted. Our
first-past-the-post system is better at picking “winners” and “losers” than
creating a legislature that represents our votes, and allows a real
majority to have a voice.

Do we need more checks on the power of authoritarians? Absolutely. One
important way to achieve that is with proportional representation, which
gives parties the same percentage of seats as the percentage of votes. Then
a majority in the legislature will be closer to a true majority, and will
put the brakes on ruling by ideology or capricious whim.

Countries who have proportional representation also cooperate more to get
things done, and spend less time undoing the work of the previous
government. Wouldn't that be a refreshing change?

Kevin.