[fvc-wat-disc] David Arthur on The Mike Farwell Show

Dave Arthur arthurd23 at bell.net
Fri Sep 21 10:44:43 EDT 2018

Thanks Bob.
I didn’t know that show was available afterwards online.
I was able to listen and to the couple phone-ins that followed.
The one phone-in Mike used the usual tact of pointing at PR countries that were experiencing the problem of a far right party getting enough votes and seats to cause problems.
We need to emphasize that this is a poor argument against PR.
Research shows that PR countries have more cooperation and consensus and long range planning.
The thresholds help prevent much of the problem.
The presentation by Helen Clark, three term PM of New Zealand, on the Broadbent website, makes the operation of parliament in NZ more admirable than our partisan fighting.
The fact is that a number of countries (e.g.  NZ, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) have moved from FPTP to PR.
Are there any countries attempting to move from PR to FPTP?
If a far right populist party should happen to get 38% of the votes at some point, would we prefer them to have 65% of the seats and 100% power or 38% of the seats and a minority?
I sure wish Doug Ford had only 40% of the seats.
Dave

Sent from Mail for Windows 10