[fvc-wat-disc] March 21 2019 at Kitchener City Hall

CROSS CULTURES crosscultures at bellnet.ca
Mon Mar 11 21:15:38 EDT 2019

*Thursday March 21 2019* starting 8:30 am

join us for CROSS CULTURES magazine's

*18th annual* commemoration for the entire Waterloo Region ..  of the

UN International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination

at Kitchener City Hall

http://www.crosscultures.ca/2019/01/14/2019-u-n-international-day-for-the-elimination-of-racial-discrimination/

and on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/events/406295773471283/

open to everyone

* we start with indigenous prayer, O Canada and greetings from dignitaries

* *morning *- focus on students from public, Catholic and private schools

8:30     Arrive

8:45    Indigenous Elder Prayer
     O Canada sung by a First Nations group Asani, a circle of First
Nations and Metis singers

9:00     Dignitaries greetings

9:15    International Students from Resurrection speaking about their
experiences coming to Canada as a refugee

10:00    Resurrection students Panel discussion

10:20    Break

10:30    Activity lead by Monsignor Doyle ... and others

11:00    Lunch (students bring their own lunches to eat in forum)

11:30    Tawheed Musa -Cameron Heights - presentation and interactive
discussion:

"What if the world was born blind? The individuals conceived in the 20th
century were the last to be born with eyes. From there on, God created
all future generations without the gift of vision. How would we live?
How would we eat? It’d be easy to sleep. But how would we enjoy the
simplest things like seeing our favourite artist in concert or hitting
McDonald’s late at night with our crew? How would we even know exactly
what we looked like? With a continuation of this conception, eventually,
there’d come a point in time where the last sighted person passes and
the world is left to question what to do next. How would survival be
possible? Open your eyes. If you “judge” a person by the tone of voice,
creative choice in words, manners, personality, and without the extra
features we include to our list of standards because of what we see, I
wonder who our companions and real friends would be"

12:15    Islamic School of Cambridge - 2 nasheeds, a poem and recitation

12:35    Carla Beharry on Youth Identity

an engaging and interactive storytelling session. We'll use guided
prompts to share our favourite pieces of our own personal cultures, and
will get curious about listening and learning about the cultures of our
friends and classmates. This session will be guided with the intention
of building equity and inclusivity in our schools and communities, and
to cultivate a sense of courage and empowerment in all youth

1:20    closing remarks

1:30    On the bus

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **

*afternoon*

*. . . in a healthy democracy (which is not the same as having
elections) citizens have an obligation to discuss politics and what
their politicians are up to and hold them accountable ... remember "use
it or lose it"?? ... in fact, in my humble opinion, the low voter
turnout is a direct result of that very idea of not discussing politics
... as for religion .. if people learn to listen with respect, a lot of
barriers could be transcended by open and frank discussions*
*/SHOULDN'T WE BE TALKING ABOUT THIS?/*

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*2:00*    Self - Love and Inclusivity

by Carla Beharry:

How do we maintain the special cultural traditions of our birth country,
while also embracing a new land, and a new environment? In order to
fully feel grounded and balanced in a new community, it is necessary
that we first cultivate a deep level of self-love and self-worth, and
that we become very aware of the values that we need to hang onto, as we
integrate into a new home. It is only from a place of connection to our
own values, can we start to reach out, and connect with new friends and
new communities. An interactive talk, with Carla Beharry to encourage
deep listening, respect and inclusivity across all cultures in our community

Carla Beharry is a proud Inter-Cultural Canadian, born and raised with a
Guyanese Father, and a British Mother.  Carla began mentoring women and
girls in Guyana, Belize, and Trinidad & Tobago, 16 years ago.   Her work
abroad encompasses teaching sexual health & HIV education, as well as
leading empowerment and resilience groups for women and girls, focused
on encouraging women to share their stories about overcoming trauma,
hardship, sexual violence, and loss. Carla is the founder of The WOKE
Women's Movement, and the Stories of Resilience & Challenge in WOKE
Women Speaking Events, and the WOKE Girls Empowerment Sessions, designed
to give women a space to discuss gender, identity, race, self-confidence
and self-worth. The groups are lead with the intention of supporting
women in rising up against discrimination, while cultivating courage,
kindness, compassion, and resilience. Carla can be found online at:
https://www.infiniteoceans.com or on Instagram at:
https://www.instagram.com/carla.beharry/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*3:00*    open interactive roundtable and panel discussions,
documentaries on:

- entitlement, the different forms of discrimination, racism, hatred

- the meaning of being indigenous to a land

- what is race? why racism?

anti: Islam, Judaism, Semitism, Zionism,  Islam etc

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*evening*

*peace concert and arts and culture extravaganza*

open invitation to all artists . . . music, drama, spoken word / poetry,
dance, visual ... and crafts, fashion show ???

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CROSS CULTURES has been working on a MUTUAL RESPECT campaign

and last year we unveiled the prototype for what we hope will be
completed by March 21st for a monument to be placed at the clock tower
entrance of Victoria Park ..

this event is always a work in progress, and we would love to hear from
you !

Gehan

--
Gehan D Sabry