[fvc-wat-disc] next meeting of Discussion Group, Wed. March 25

Cathy Scott cathy.scottfree at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:10:20 EST 2020

  Hi, Everyone,
Although our February meeting was cancelled, Sharon and I were at the Civic
Hub to advise anyone who didn't get the message and showed up.  There were
a couple of people, Jonathan Cassels and   Peter Croves, a visitor from
Woodstock.  Both Jonathan and Peter are running for the FV national
council.  Our small group  talked about some items on the agenda, which are
happening before our next meeting, on March 25. Here are some updates:

   -   the Cross Cultures Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
   is on Saturday, March 21, from noon til evening. The list of
   presentations/activities looks interesting. Here's the link to check it out:

http://www.crosscultures.ca/2020/01/20/2020-un-international-day-for-the-elimination-of-racial-discrimination/

We usually have  an information table at this event.  *Please let me know
ASAP if you are able to be at  our table for any part of this day, from
noon til early evening*.

   - The Ontario Liberal Leadership Convention is this weekend, March 6 -
   9.  A couple of our members are there, hoping to elect a leader who
   supports electoral reform.
   - Update on MP visits to discuss Citizens' Assemblies:
      - Bardish Chagger (Waterloo riding) and Brian May (Cambridge riding)
      have not responded to requests for a meeting.
      - Tim Louis has responded but there is not firm date, yet.
   - Cathy and Sharon attended a very informative  talk about Citizens'
   Assemblies, given by Peter MacLeod of MASS lib, an organization that has
   been commissioned by various agencies, to design and conduct C.A.s.  A
   recording of that talk will be posted on the MASS lib website within a
   couple of weeks.  Anyone  who is interested in hearing about their
   experiences with C.A.s can google MASS lib to find it on their website.  At
   the next meeting, we can talk about some ideas to include in our meetings
   with the MPs .
   - Sharon spoke to Dave Meslin, who is willing to speak about C.A.s at
   our event during Democracy Week, in September.

I am attaching the agenda for our next meeting, with these updates added.
Cathy