[fvc-wat-disc] meeting next Wed. Nov. 25; 7:00 pm

Peter Croves petercroves at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 10:03:47 EST 2020

Other systems---besides the  three in the other email and Russia, there and
with Russia we have  9 nations in all are these  5 nations

The remaining five countries (Andorra, Italy, Lithuania, the former
Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, and Ukraine) combine a number of voting
systems – mainly First Past the Post and List PR. These tend to be less
proportional as the distribution of the List PR seats doesn’t take the
first past the post seats into account.

In Italy, for example, 37% of the seats in the Chamber of Deputies (the
Italian House of Commons) are allocated with First Past the Post, while 63%
are chosen through List PR.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM Peter Croves <petercroves at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> preferred candidate with a cross and the candidate with the most votes wins
>> and gets a seat, even if most people didn’t vote for them.
>>
>> On the second ballot paper is a list of parties who want seats in
>> parliament. Each party publishes a list of candidates for these elections,
>> a vote for a party is a vote to make more of their list of candidates into
>> MPs. Seats are allocated in proportion to the votes a party received in the
>> election, also taking into account how many ‘first vote’ seats they
>> obtained. Recent reforms in Hungary
>> <https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/just-how-popular-is-hungarys-fidesz/> have
>> made their system considerably less proportional though, while there are
>> calls to increase the number of ‘list’ seats in Wales
>> <https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/latest-news-and-research/publications/reshaping-the-senedd/> to
>> make the results fairer and more proportional.
>> Other systems
>>
>> The remaining five countries (Andorra, Italy, Lithuania, the former
>> Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, and Ukraine) combine a number of voting
>> systems – mainly First Past the Post and List PR. These tend to be less
>> proportional as the distribution of the List PR seats doesn’t take the
>> first past the post seats into account.
>>
>> In Italy, for example, 37% of the seats in the Chamber of Deputies (the
>> Italian House of Commons) are allocated with First Past the Post, while 63%
>> are chosen through List PR.
>> Conclusion
>>
>> The UK is unique among European countries in terms of its electoral
>> system – and not in a good way. It’s the only country with a parliamentary
>> system that uses the outdated, one-person-takes-all First Past the Post
>> <https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/types-of-voting-system/first-past-the-post/>
>>  system.
>>
>> While the List PR systems commonly used in Europe can create parliaments
>> that closely reflect the opinions of their countries, there is often a
>> weaker constituency link. Plus, closed list systems generally limit voter
>> choice.
>>
>> This is why the ERS favors the Single Transferable Vote
>> <https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voting-systems/types-of-voting-system/single-transferable-vote/>:
>> this system enhances voter choice and guarantees a strong link between MPs
>> and voters, while also distributing seats in parliament in a way that is
>> fair and reflects how people voted. Rather than throwing votes on the
>> electoral scrapheap as ‘wasted’, STV helps ensure every vote counts and
>> people’s voices are heard.
>>
>> It’s time that we caught up with the rest of the world and changed the
>> way we elect our parliament so it finally reflects public opinion.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 2:28 AM Peter KH via fvc-wat-disc <
>> fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Last meeting I promised links to articles about municipal power. Here
>>> https://www.toronto.ca/ext/digital_comm/inquiry/inquiry_site/cd/gg/add_pdf/77/Governance/Electronic_Documents/Other_CDN_Jurisdictions/Powers_of_Canadian_Cities.pdf
>>> 2)
>>> http://spacing.ca/toronto/2019/06/21/lorinc-the-myth-of-the-city-charter/
>>> 3)