[fvc-wat-disc] Fwd: Introduction to Social Media - Make Votes Matter Explainer Video

Cathy Scott cathy.scottfree at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 12:59:00 EST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Anita Nickerson <anita.nickerson at fairvote.ca>
Date: Mon., Mar. 1, 2021, 4:13 p.m.
Subject: Re: Introduction to Social Media - Make Votes Matter Explainer
Video
To: <fair-vote-canada-chapters at googlegroups.com>

Hey chapters - this is a good social media 101 presentation
<https://youtu.be/iqBJbrZfQko> Marc just shared to watch if your chapter
wants to get more active on social media. *It's really basic. *

If the people on your team are maybe on facebook personally (most people
are - the older demographic is there! :), but they don't have a twitter
account or an Instagram account, don't know how those work, and everyone is
kinda groaning thinking of learning a new platform and wishing someone else
would do it for the group...If you're willing to learn, the video is a good
starter.

This video covers stuff like "This button means RETWEET." (A more advanced
twitter lesson we did for teams in 2018 is here
<https://youtu.be/xjWXkSR1SoA?list=PLE0dYpVCw9bZ1SvGJ6sT2U3zFID7Yip3b>. A
recent workshop by FVT on how to make graphics on Canva which would come in
really handy for instagram and facebook is here
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apj-VEKTXG0>.)

I think of one of the things volunteers find challenging in a pandemic -
and probably even more so for the older demographic (apologies for any
stereotyping!) - is that all the things we could do in person before are
now off the table or changed/reduced.

Meeting with each other face to face - human relationships we thrive on
that often lead to action - being the most basic. (Yes, Zoom is very
useful! Don't forget the FVC account is available for any group who wants
to meet).

What we are really missing that we have always done is being able to go to
places in the community in person to collect signers and network and have
1-1 conversations - rallies, events, meetings of other groups. Doing
tables.

Some of those things are now impossible online, some are more difficult
(using a chat box on Zoom during a webinar of another group is not the same
as networking in person over coffee after a live event), and some are just
different and maybe a bit more intimidating (offering to give a
presentation on Zoom for a school class instead of in front of a live
class). All of them are do-able but mean having to think about how to do
them in a different way.

*Social media is something fairly easy that every team and many of
their volunteers can do in the pandemic to help spread the word! *
I'd personally encourage teams to get an account on *twitter*, since
facebook pages are tough these days to reach new people.

The nice thing about twitter is that you can retweet the stuff from our
national account (@FairVoteCanada) - you don't have to only make stuff up
yourself.

You can follow and retweet each other (other FVC chapters like Toronto and
Vancouver, PR activists in your group and across the country).

It's the place where you can follow journalists and tag local MPs. Judy is
a great source of information about what to do if you want to get started
or get stuck :)

Anita

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fair-vote-canada-chapters/CAGop2QD540P%2BydzhEVhMEehNCDRXH2dHoziOFEH9RrCAgeNZfw%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fair-vote-canada-chapters/CAGop2QD540P%2BydzhEVhMEehNCDRXH2dHoziOFEH9RrCAgeNZfw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>