[fvc-wat-disc] Fwd: [pr-writers] Letter in Kitchener Record

David dirks daviddirks at rogers.com
Thu Sep 2 17:07:50 EDT 2021

 Nice job Myron, thank you!
David

    On Thursday, September 2, 2021, 03:25:58 PM EDT, Sharon Sommerville <sharonsommerville at gmail.com> wrote:

 Thank you Myron!  Good letter!
Sharon
On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Jennifer Ross <2jennross at gmail.com> wrote:

If you haven't seen this:  https://www.therecord.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editors/2021/09/01/more-action-is-needed-on-electoral-reform-in-canada.html

Bookkeeping Services519-501-2736
No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.

More action is needed on electoral reform in Canada
Wed., Sept. 1, 2021timer1 min. read
I am passionate about the need to reform Canada’s first-past-the post electoral system if our democracy is to thrive. I join many other Canadians in calling for a citizen’s assembly to discuss an evolution of our democracy at the federal and provincial levels. In Canada’s current first-past-the-post system, the candidate who gets the most votes in a geographical area gets a seat in Parliament.

I favour a further evolution of our democracy to mixed form of first-past-the post and proportional representation. At the federal and provincial level there would still be geographical ridings, and the candidate getting the most votes in each riding would get a seat in parliament. This protects rural areas from being dominated by cities with a higher population. However, other politicians would be elected based on the percentage of votes cast for each party. This prevents governments from having absolute control to govern with, say, less than 35 per cent of the votes cast.

Here’s another suggestion: My MP and/or MPP must vote according to the party line, and doesn’t have the choice to vote with how the constituents may feel. How does this represent them? Instead, the representative could balance the needs of the party, the constituents and their own conscience when they decide how to vote.
Myron Daniel SteinmanKitchener