[fvc-wat-disc] Opportunity to help out in Hamilton Friday March 3 and Saturday March 4

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 18:37:26 EST 2023

Hi everyone!

I know this is a bit of a drive, but if you'd like to help, we could use
help outside the Ontario Liberal Party convention at the Hamilton
Convention Centre on* Friday March 5, 3-5 PM* (that time could get a bit
later - we're figuring out the schedule) and Saturday March 4, *8 AM to 10
AM.*

You all know what the politicians - even from parties who are supposedly
supportive - tell us. They don't hear enough about this issue. This is the
time to raise our voices for electoral reform in Ontario!

We are in a key moment with the Ontario Liberals. They got their butts
kicked - again - with first-past-the-post.

They are in a leadership race - again. This time, there COULD be several
candidates running on a citizens' assembly on electoral reform - exactly
what we're hoping for - if we can show enough support for the idea!

The Ontario Liberal MPPs, some federal Lib MPs and other influencers in the
party will be at the AGM. *FVC supporters will be outside the entrances to
the convention centre, handing out a flyer and having friendly
conversations.*

If we can get enough people we may also be able to bring our giant banner
that takes 11 people to hold up - we're not quite there yet!

*Sharon is leading this! *She's coming down from Mono to Hamilton to do it.

*If you'd like to join the group either Friday late afternoon or evening
(right now we're saying 3-5 PM but it could change) or Saturday 8-10 AM,
just message me off-list! *

(Pitch to the Hamilton area list below FYI. It looks like we might have
about 15 people now, but spread between the two time slots).

Thanks again!

Anita

Can you hand out literature March 3 or 4 with Fair Vote Canada in front of
the Hamilton Convention Centre?

The Ontario Liberal Party is having their Annual General Meeting in
Hamilton. This
is a special opportunity to reach out to Liberal party members, including
former candidates, MPPs and MPs.

Fair Vote Canada volunteers will be outside the Hamilton Convention Centre
handing out flyers on *Friday March 3 from 3-5 PM* and *Saturday March 4
from 8-10 AM.*

*Can you join us?If you can join, just respond to this email!*

This is an important opportunity for us to show Liberal MPPs and leadership
candidates that Ontarians want action on electoral reform!

Doug Ford's "majority" government was elected by a mere 41% of voters -
less than 18% of the electorate.

The Ontario Liberal Party received more votes than the NDP, but got only 8
seats, compared to 31 for the NDP.

As Ontario Liberals head into their leadership race, *we need every
candidate to commit to fixing our broken electoral system*, starting with a
Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform!

They need to know that voters care.

*The more Fair Vote Canada supporters show up to help, the bigger the
impact we will have. *

*This is not a protest.*

We'll be handing out flyers (see front
<https://www.fairvote.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/ON-Election-2022-6x9-card-Lib-convention-white.jpg>
 and back
<https://www.fairvote.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/ON-postcard-Lib-convention-side-two.jpg>)
and engaging in *friendly* conversations with those heading into the
convention.

An experienced Fair Vote Canada leader (Sharon) will be organizing. Whether
you are a longtime supporter or you've never done anything like this
before,

*you are warmly welcome and we need you!**If you can join us on Friday
March 3 from 3-5 PM or Saturday March 4 from 8-10 AM, just reply to this
email.*

Thank you so much for supporting the campaign to Make Every Vote Count.

Sincerely,

Anita Nickerson
Executive Director, Fair Vote Canada