[fvc-wat-announce] Reminder: AGM Tuesday

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Apr 20 00:46:20 EDT 2007

 	We've got a referendum on our hands, folks. If you have not heard
already, the Ontario Citizens' Assembly made the decision to officially
recommend a mixed-member proportional system for Ontario.

 	Let's get our campaigning off to a good start by making our
chapter's Annual General Meeting a success. Please join us Tuesday evening
to elect a new chapter executive and get our campaigning rolling..

 	Here are the details:

Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region
Annual General Meeting
Tuesday, April 24 2007, 7:00pm
Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work
120 Duke Street W, Kitchener
(Behind Kitchener City Hall)

 	There is parking and map information information on our homepage:
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion

 	Here is some information about the meeting:

 	0. In order to vote for the executive you need to be a Fair Vote
Canada member. New memberships are $10. Returning memberships are $25 for
the "gainfully employed", and $10 for students and low-income folks.

 	1. Executive nominations will be made at the meeting. If you are
thinking of running, it might be helpful for you to prepare a bit of
information you can tell us about who you are and why you would make a
good executive member.

 	Executive members do not need to know a huge amount about
electoral reform to be nominated -- we all have a lot of learning to do,
and we can do that learning together. What executive members do need are
good organizational/leadership skills and the energy to put sustained
effort into making the campaign a success.

 	2. In addition to electing the executive we will be organizing
volunteer groups/committees for the campaign. Currently, we may have
committees working on each of the four ridings we are supposed to cover,
as well as elite task forces to work on:
 	- door-to-door campaigning
 	- public speaking at debates and information nights
 	- watching and responding to the media
 	- networking and outreach

 	You do NOT need a Fair Vote Canada membership to participate in
these volunteer groups.

 	60/60 supermajority or not, this referendum is winnable. Let's get
together and make it happen!

Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday May 8, 7pm