[fvc-wat-announce] Info Night Schedule Changes! Oct 9 cancellation!

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Aug 11 02:56:55 EDT 2007

 	Howdy folks,

 	Because of the referendum blackout, we have had to CANCEL the
referendum information session we had planned for October 9. However, we
have added quite a few new dates as well. Here's the updated list:

- August 14 (that's this Tuesday!)
- September 11, 18 and 25
- October 2

 	All of these presentations begin at 7:00pm. They are held at the
Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work, at 120 Duke St. W in Kitchener
(directly behind City Hall).

 	These are great opportunities to become more comfortable with the
MMP system proposed for Ontario and to learn more about the two systems
under consideration. In addition to presentation there are lots of
opportunities for discussion.

 	In addition to these information nights, we would love to speak
for your group or organization. Don't be shy! We can speak for as little
as five minutes, and can address groups big and small. Respond to this
e-mail and we will set something up.

Meetings
--------
 	There are a number of groups holding organization meetings to work
on the referendum campaign. There's a lot of ground to cover and a lot of
ignorance to eradicate -- even a few hours of time can be a big help.

 	0. We are having our next Waterloo Region volunteer meeting at
7:00pm on Tuesday, September 21 at the Faculty of Social Work building.

 	1. A group at Wilfrid Laurier University is having its next
meeting on August 28 at 7:00pm. To get involved, contact the group by
e-mailing fvclaurier at gmail.com .

 	2. A group in Cambridge has sprung up and is working hard. They
are having their next meeting August 13th (next Monday!)
Zehrs Community Room upstairs at the South Cambridge Mall from 7:00.
To get involved contact Donna at donna-reid at sympatico.ca

 	3. For those of you who live in Guelph, there's a new group that
is getting organized there. Contact Bill at bill.hulet at sympatico.ca to get
involved with them.

 	4. The group at the University of Waterloo has not scheduled its
next meeting, but it is planning several events for September. To get
involved contact Alex at alex.mccausland at gmail.com .

 	There are lots of opportunity to get involved, and every one of
these groups could really use some additional volunteers. Everybody is
organizing September events now, and there is a lot of work to be done.

Upcoming Events
---------------

 	As always, we are working to attend as many festivals and public
events as we can. Coming up in the near future are the Rock the Mill
festival on August 18 (http://www.rockthemill.com) at Dickson Park in
Cambridge, and the LINK Newsmagazine Picnic
(http://www.linknewsmagazine.ca) on August 19 at Waterloo Park.

 	Also as always, we could use some help in staffing these booths.
Give us a shout if you can help for an hour or two.

Literature Distribution
-----------------------

 	Some folks have been dropping off literature in doctor's offices,
waiting rooms and lounges. Can you think of a good home for a stack of
some booklets or brochures? If so, contact us and we will get you a stash
ASAP.

Other News
----------

 	In addition to the Vote for MMP campaign, the official Referendum
Ontario public education campaign has begun. They have launched their
website at http://yourbigdecision.ca , and are planning a number of
activities to raise public awareness. (You may have heard their radio
advertisements already.)

 	Also active are our opponents, who have been getting quite a bit
of press already. If you were thinking that winning this referendum was
going to be easy, think again.

Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday August 14, 7pm