[fvc-wat-announce] Guelph Public Consultation: This Saturday!

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jan 17 15:17:04 EST 2007

Waterloo Meeting Followup
-------------------------

 	First of all, thanks to everybody who helped make the Waterloo
consultation last week such a success. It looks like somewhere between
90-120 people showed up for at least part of the evening, which really
helps drive home the message that this issue is important to a lot of
people. Several people I spoke to after the meeting commented that they
found the evening educational and worthwhile. The room was stifling hot
and much too small, but it looks like we made a difference -- we got some
coverage in the Record the next day, and a few television stations showed
up.

Guelph Public Consultation: Jan 20
----------------------------------

 	If you missed the fun this time around there is another
opportunity to catch a public consultation -- this time on Saturday
January 20, in Guelph. The consultation will be held in Conference Room 2
at the Ministry of Agriculture building on 1 Stone Road, at Stone and
Gordon streets. This is an afternoon consultation: from 1-4pm.

 	We want to accomplish three things for this consultation: get a
good turnout, get Guelph residents informed about fair voting, and get
Waterloo Region people who may have missed the first meeting an
opportunity to see what the fuss is about.

 	Even folks who went to the Waterloo consultation may be
interested in signing up for a speaking slot to give an oral presentation
for this meeting. (The location was finalized at the last minute, and
there may well be speaking slots still available.)

Transportation and Carpooling
-----------------------------

 	Because Guelph is pretty far away, it may be hard for people who
are interested in attending the meeting to make their way there. Greyhound
does have some bus service to the area, but that is about it. So once
again we are looking for carpoolers.

 	If you are planning to drive to the meeting and can take some
carpoolers, then please send me an e-mail telling me how many people you
can take and where you can do pickups. (Getting some carpool action from
Cambridge would be really nice..)

 	If you are needing a ride to get to the Guelph meeting, send me
an e-mail letting me know where you are willing to be picked up.

 	I will do my best to match carpoolers with carpoolees (and maybe
this time I won't send out incorrect phone numbers).

Outreach
--------

 	Of course, we don't want to flood the meeting with Waterloo
people only. We want to get as many Guelphites involved as well. If you
know people who live in Guelph and might be interested in this, please
pass on the word. If you have contacts at media outlets in Guelph
(newspapers, radio, etc.) then please get in touch with me -- I can
forward a press release to you.

Written Comments
----------------

 	I can't let an e-mail go by without reminding you that the
deadline for written comments to the Assembly are due by January 31. The
comments need not be elaborate -- even telling the Assembly what values
you look for in a voting system is helpful. The more people we can get
submitting their comments to the Assembly, the more we can emphasize that
we would prefer that the Assembly chooses a fair voting system.

Future Meetings

 	Any time now, our chapter co-chairs will be announcing some
planning meetings for the chapter. If you would like to get involved with
outreach, the speaker's bureau or anything else related to spreading the
word about fair voting, please come out and/or contact me or a co-chair.
It's going to take a lot of work to win this referendum; we could really
use your help.

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion