[fvc-wat-announce] Electoral Reform 101

Jennifer Ross jenn at jenniferross.ca
Sat Oct 23 00:50:16 EDT 2010

A small group met on Wednesday, October 20 at the Queen Street Commons to discuss our electoral system and alternatives to it.

Fair Vote's Sean Geobey led us through a review of the First Past the Post system, Alternative Vote, Single Transferable Vote, Proportional Representation, and Mixed Member Proportional Representation.  With Powerpoint slides and sticky notes on the wall, Sean was able to illustrate exactly how each system works, the advantages and the pitfalls.

For myself, I was particularly surprised at the problems FPTP exacerbates, if not causes.  I know well how the system works as a voter, but I've never stopped to think about what the results of the system meant.  Because of the smaller group, we were able to ask questions as soon as they came up, and spend as much time as needed on each voting system.  A relaxed, informative and very worthwhile evening!

Jennifer Ross
CAPP Planning Committee

P.S.--Please mark your calendars for our next event, Democratic Reform roundtable, on November 11th.