[fvc-wat-announce] Meeting with Stephen Woodworth

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:29:39 EST 2013

Hello FairVoting Friends,

On Saturday five FairVote Waterloo members, Shannon Adshade, David Lubell,
Laurel Russwurm, Bob Jonkman and me, Sharon Sommerville met with Stephen
Woodworth, the MP for Kitchener-Centre to present our petition

We were surprised when he invited us to sit down and talk with him about
the issue of electoral reform.  We spent 40-45 minutes discussing
the principles of proportional representation, how it would function & what
it would mean for Canada with Mr. Woodworth.  Mr. Woodworth raised his
concerns regarding proportional representation with us which we addressed.

It wasn't a break through moment but it was a lively, frank & respectful
discussion. At the end of the meeting, Mr. Woodworth said he would consider
PR with an open mind.  Given that we only expected to present our petition,
we were pleased to have the opportunity to discuss electoral reform with
one of our local MP.

I will follow up with a thank you letter and some written material for Mr.
Woodworth consideration.  Many thanks to David, Shannon, Bob & Laurel for
attending the meeting and their excellent contributions to the
discussion. A special thanks to Laurel for videoing the discussion.  It
will be up on our website today and pictures & the video can also be seen
at:

https://whoacanada.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/fvc-waterloo-meets-mp-stephen-
woodworth/
and video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhnubTDLIY

Our festive season pot luck get together is coming up on Sunday, Dec. 1st.
starting at 5 p.m. at my home, 85 Westmount Road South in Waterloo.
Everyone is invited!  Please let me know if you are planning to attend and
what you plan to bring so we can co-ordinate our culinary efforts.

Kind Regards,