[fvc-wat-announce] It's A Good News Day!

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 10:09:30 EST 2014

Hello FairVoting Friends,

The first piece of good news is that the Liberal Party passed Resolution 31
at it's convention this past weekend.  After the next election, the LPC has
committed to engage in an all party process to investigate, using expert
advice and citizen's participation (that's we come in!), the best electoral
system for Canada which could include PR.  It would then report to
Parliament within 12 months with it's recommendations.  This is an exciting
opportunity to began a national debate on electoral reform which could lead
to using some form of PR in our 2019 elections.  WooHoo!

The next great news is that on Saturday, March 8th KW Transitions &
FVC - WRwill partner to host "Connect" between 1:30 - 3:30 at the
Queen Street
Commons Cafe in Kitchener. Here is the message from Leadnow:
It may not feel like it yet, but the 2015 federal election is just around
the corner. If we start working together now, we can help hold this
government accountable at the ballot box, and elect people with a strong
mandate for action on democracy, climate, and inequality. More than that -
we can help build a movement strong enough to push for real changes after
the election.

Between February 27th and March 9th, people are going to gather in
communities across the country to talk about a plan to organize for and
beyond the 2015 election. Join
TransitionKW<https://www.facebook.com/TransitionKW> and
FairVote KW for Connect!

You can register and learn more at http://www.leadnow.ca/connect/events/
queen-street-commons-cafe-kitchener-on/#details or on facebook https://www.
facebook.com/events/1405723873019100

Please join us there, we need to work together to ensure positive change
for Canada in 2015!

Amazingly, the Conservative MP for Brampton West, Kyle Seeback is hosting a
Town Hall Meeting on Democratic Reform this Saturday, March 1st, 2 -4 pm at
the Royal Canadian Legion, 80 Mary Street in Brampton. The topics are
 Micheal Chong's Reform Bill and Proportional Representation. It is an
important opportunity to let the CPC know that Canadians care about our
democracy and want fair, effective elections.

Wishing you well,

Sharon Sommerville
for FVC -WR