[fvc-wat-announce] Summer Festival schedule, AGM date, and some news

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jun 4 13:12:35 EDT 2016

Hi everybody! Summer Festival season starts on Sunday, and the start
of June means it's time for the Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region
Chapter Annual General Meeting.

But first, some news: You may have heard that the All-party
Parliamentary Committee on Electoral Reform will now be composed of
five Liberal members, three Conservatives, two NDP, and one each for
the Green Party and Bloc Quebecois, with all seats having voting
status and an equal voice. This follows (roughly) the votes received
by each party, and not the seats they hold in the House. Finally, some
Proportional Representation!

Some news agencies have reported this as "Liberals give up" or
"Liberals back down" -- but that's not the case at all. It was
achieved through the cooperation of ALL parties, who created
legislation for the benefit of all Canadians. This is something we can
expect to see more of with a proportionally represented parliament.

Kady O'Malley has written the most informative, least inflammatory
article I've read on this:
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/kady-liberals-back-ndp-electoral-reform-committee-give-up-majority-control

Annual General Meeting
======================

Every year in the spring we hold an Annual General Meeting of the Fair
Vote Waterloo Region Chapter to elect our Executive Board, receive our
Financial Report, and discuss happenings in the Fair Vote community.

To help find the best date for the most people please fill out this
online poll:

https://framadate.org/L58Bx2EeDcqKqkNI

Or contact me directly at bjonkman at sobac.com or +1-519-635-9413 and
let me know your preference. Proposed dates are from Wednesday 22 June
2016 to Tuesday 28 June, with the meeting to be held from 7:00pm to
9:00pm.

Note that Monday, 27 June 2016 would normally be our Discussion Night,
but we can double up and hold our AGM at the same time. And there are
only evening dates (8:00pm to 10:00pm) for the weekend of 25-26 June
2016, because several of the Executive will be staffing the
information booth at the Multicultural Festival. Speaking of festivals...

Summer Festival Season
======================

Every summer there are a number of open air celebrations where Fair
Vote Waterloo has an information booth to give curious passers-by
information on electoral reform and proportional representation. There
is usually a LOT of interest, and sometimes some lively discussion.
People can see some sample ballots for different voting systems, vote
in a simulated election, and pick up the Fair Vote Canada tabloid and
a "Your Vote Should Count" button.  Come join us!

No, really, I mean it. Come join us and help staff the booth for a
couple of hours. Even if you've never staffed a booth before, come
listen to what the public has to say about Electoral Reform. You'll be
paired up with an experienced booth volunteer, and have a table full
of information at your fingertips. Bring your sun hat and a water bottle!

And if your church, service club or neighbourhood is holding an event
where people might like some information,  we'll be happy to set up a
table, talk to people, and eat your potato salad.

If you're interested in helping out, send me an e-mail at
bjonkman at sobac.com or call me at +1-519-635-9413.

Here are the events for 2016 so far:

* tri-Pride Festival: Sunday, 5 June, 1:00pm - 5:00pm
* Open Streets Waterloo: Sunday, 12 June, Noon - 5:00pm
* Multicultural Festival: Saturday & Sunday, 25-26 June, Noon - 8:00pm
* Kultrun: Saturday & Sunday, 9-10 July, Noon - 8:00pm
* Nonviolence Festival Day In The Park: Saturday, 9 July, Noon - 5:00pm
* Open Streets Waterloo: Sunday, 24 July, Noon - 5:00pm
* LINK Picnic Festival: Saturday & Sunday, 20-21 August, Noon - 5:00pm
* Open Streets Waterloo: Sunday, 21 August, Noon - 5:00pm
* Open Streets Waterloo: Sunday, 18 September, Noon - 5:00pm

You can see the entire Fair Vote Waterloo events calendar at
http://fairvotewrc.ca/calendar/

See you at the festivals!

- --Bob Jonkman, Co-Chair,
Fair Vote Canada, Waterloo Region Chapter

E-mail: bjonkman at sobac.com
Phone: +1-519-635-9413