[fvc-wat-announce] FVC-WR Met With Bryan May, MP For Cambridge

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:31:45 EST 2016

Hello FairVoting Friends,

On Monday afternoon, FVC-WR met with Bryan May, MP for Cambridge.  We had a
straight forward 45 minute discussion with him. He shared his concerns
about some of the technical issues of organizing a new electoral system ie
another round of electoral boundary changes but agrees with the principle
that all votes should be equal.  Bryan was also clear that any change to
our electoral system has to be a made in Canada solution.

Bryan is concerned about declining voter turnout and was interested in the
evidence that illustrates great voter turnout in countries that use a
proportional electoral system.  We left him with a stack of reading
material suitable for policymakers.

We would like to thank Bryan for a great discussion and his interest in an
issue that shapes our democracy and Parliament.

Kind regards,
Sharon Sommerville
for FVC-WR