[fvc-wat-announce] Webinar: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 at 7pm — Countries With PR : How Has It Shaped Their Politics For The Better?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Sep 23 18:17:40 EDT 2017

Almost missed this announcement from Anita Nickerson, Fair Vote Canada
Action Co-ordinator and local FairvoteWRC member:

=====
Webinar -- Countries With PR : How Has It Shaped Their Politics For
The Better?

How does proportional representation make a difference in other
countries? What’s the real-world experience?

Join us for a webinar with electoral reform expert Dennis Pilon.

Countries with PR – How has it shaped their democracies for the
better? Sunday, 24 September 2017 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm EDT.

Register at GoToWebinar:

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2472128035323660545

Special Guest:
Dennis Pilon is an Associate Professor at York University and Canadian
Electoral Reform Expert. He has written numerous journal articles,
newspaper articles, book chapters, and books, including "The Politics
of Voting: Reforming Canada’s Electoral System" and "Wrestling with
Democracy." Full bio at
http://people.laps.yorku.ca/people.nsf/researcherprofile?readform&shortname=dpilon

Two recent articles he wrote during the federal electoral reform
process are:

Our entire electoral reform debate is based on a fear of voters
(iPolitics)
http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/12/our-entire-electoral-reform-debate-is-based-on-a-fear-of-voters/

You can’t hide behind the Constitution to spare us electoral reform
(National Post)
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-pilon-you-cant-hide-behind-the-constitution

Following the presentation, you’ll be able to ask questions of Dennis
via a chat box.

Only proportional systems can deliver on our most important values:
effective votes, fair representation, collaborative politics, voter
choice, diversity, regional balance, and more accountable government.

Please share this webinar widely with friends who may be interested!

In our July survey for supporters, we asked you what webinar topics
you would like to see. Finding out how PR works in other countries,
understanding the nuts and bolts of the PR systems for Canada, how to
talk to the public most effectively about PR were the most frequently
requested topics. As a result, we have a full schedule of webinars you
can register for this fall and more planned for the winter.

Check out what's coming up! http://www.fairvote.ca/webinars/

We hope you can join us on Sunday September 24 at 7 PM EST – register
at GoToWebinar!

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2472128035323660545

Thanks for being part of the campaign to Make Every Vote Count!

Sincerely,

Anita Nickerson
FVC Action Coordinator

P.S. Want to talk to other PR supporters face to face about the
campaign? Host a local discussion about PR: Sign up at Let’s Talk PR!
https://secure.fairvote.ca/letstalkpr

- --