[fvc-wat-announce] Upcoming Events: Perspectives on Peace, and FairvoteWRC Discussion Night

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Oct 24 01:57:26 EDT 2018

Hi everyone:

The Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region Chapter will have an information
table at "Perspectives On Peace", a symposium put on by KWPeace, an
umbrella organization of Peace and Social Justice organizations in
Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding area. FairvoteWRC is a member
organization.

Please join the Peace and Social Justice groups of KWPeace for a midday
meal and conversation about Peace, Nonviolence, Social Justice and
Climate Change. Our guest speaker is Tamara Lorincz  who is completing
her PhD in Global Governance at the Balsillie School of International
Affairs. Tamara will talk about the climate and environmental impacts of
Canada's new foreign and defence policies.

Lunch will be provided by Kitchener Food Not Bombs, which picks up
donated food from grocery stores, cooks fresh vegan meals, and serves
these meals to the community for free every Saturday in front of
Kitchener City Hall.

This event is free with donations gratefully accepted to cover costs!
Lunch will be served between noon and 2:00pm; Tamara will speak at 12:30pm.

Member organizations of KW Peace will be on site with information about
the good work that they do in our community.  FairvoteWRC will have an
information table, and we can use some help to staff the table and let
people know how Fair Vote promotes peace (hint: proportional
representation elects governments that are more responsive to what
people want)

*What*: Perspectives On Peace: Where’s The Peace and Justice? Canada’s
New Foreign and Defence Policies
*When*: Saturday, 27 October 2018 from noon to 2:00pm
*Where*: The Rotunda, Kitchener City Hall
*Location*: 200 King Street West, Kitchener, Ontario
*Map*:  https://osm.org/go/ZXnwWLGp?m=
*Registration*:
http://kwpeace.ca/eventsmanager/register-perspectives-on-peace-wheres-the-peace-justice-canadas-new-foreign-and-defence-policies/

-----

For this month's Discussion Night, Larry Kryski has proposed a minor
adjustment to our current First Past The Post voting system that results
in Proportional Representation for votes taken in Parliament! How? By
weighting the vote of each member by the number of votes received.

What are the advantages? What are the drawbacks? You can read Larry
Kryski’s paper Creating a Proportional Representation Electoral System
That Works.

Join us for an evening of discussion at the Bread and Roses Community
Room at 307 Queen Street South, Kitchener Map 1. Everyone is welcome!
You don’t have to be a Fair Vote member to come to Discussion Nights.

If you drive, please park in the north parking lot and place a note on
the dashboard of your vehicle:

*Meeting in Community Room re Apt 107 from 7-9pm*

*What*: FairvoteWRC Discussion Night: Weighted First-Past-The-Post
*When*: Wednesday, 31 October 2018 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
*Where*: Community Room, Bread and Roses Co-op
*Location*: 307 Queen Street South, Kitchener
*Map*: https://osm.org/go/ZXnwTLMg--?m=

 See you there!

--Bob.

--