[fvc-wat-announce] Fw: Invitation to Sept 8 Day of Climate Action - Waterloo Public Square

David dirks daviddirks at rogers.com
Sun Sep 5 16:45:19 EDT 2021

 For those who may be interested......

Subject: Invitation to Sept 8 Day of Climate Action - Waterloo Public Square Sept 8 is a Canada-wide day of climate action. Organizers with 50by30 are hosting an action in Waterloo Public Square from 12-2pm. Join us!

| View this email in your browser  |

|  |

Dear supporters of 50by30 Waterloo Region,

As politicians gear up for an early federal election, it’s up to us to highlight the mounting urgency of climate change and demand a future worth fighting for.

On Sept 8, while catastrophic climate events continue to erupt across Canada and beyond, Kitchener-Waterloo will be standing in solidarity with communities across Canada to demand emergency-level climate action. Join us anytime between 12-2 PM in Waterloo Public Square (King / Willis Way in Waterloo) on Wednesday, Sept 8, to make your voice heard! So we have a sense of numbers, organizers are asking anyone interested to attend to please register here.

What will be happening: Following an opening ceremony at 12pm by Amy Smoke and Maddie Resmer from Land Back, participants will be invited to help send a clear message to aspiring officials and the broader community by safely participating in one of many creative activities, including the creation of a vibrant community mural for climate action led by mural artist Pamela Rojas, and the opportunity to share your thoughts in an interactive community video on why climate action and justice matters to you, led by activist filmmaker Kai Reimer-Watts. Climate signs will be available to hold, and you can also show additional support by purchasing a $10 "I'm voting for climate" lawn sign on-site to help raise awareness for climate action in advance of the federal election (while supplies last).

Organizers: This action is being organized by local members of the grassroots movement 50by30 Waterloo Region in solidarity with 350's national day of action on climate. Together we can demonstrate the central importance of bold climate action for voters this year. Stop by with face masks, friends, and signs as we rise with communities cost-to-coast demanding a moratorium on fossil fuel expansion and a sweeping just transition, to ensure a safe climate future for all of us.

NOTE: To be COVID-safe, we are asking all participants who are able to please wear a mask while attending this public action. COVID restrictions mean that for safety, no more than 100 people can be present in the square at one time. To accommodate this, organizers have designed the action so that participants can drop in and contribute for a short period of time anytime between 12-2pm, before continuing with their day. This will help ensure lower numbers at any one time, while also allowing more people to participate.

To sign up on our official event page, please click here. To share this event on Facebook, please click here.

For more information and to get more involved with growing the local movement for climate justice, please contact the organizers directly at 50by30waterlooregion at gmail.com

In solidarity,
Organizers with 50by30WR

Reach out!
@50by30WR
#50by30
www.50by30wr.ca
50by30waterlooregion at gmail.com

|  |

|  |

|  |

| 50 by 30 Waterloo Region

Our campaign only sends infrequent updates.
However, if you want you can unsubscribe from this list.  |

| This email was sent to bschumac at uwaterloo.ca
50by30 Waterloo Region · 79 Joseph St · Kitchener, ON N2G 1J2 · Canada