[fvc-wat-disc] Response letters required

Derek Kraan derek.kraan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:36:22 EDT 2007

It was Monday April 23. Here's the text:

LETTER OF THE DAY

Reforms would undermine our democracy

I strongly suggest we say No to the recommendations of the Ontario Citizens
Assembly -- or we will give up our right to representative democracy.
This fall, we in Ontario will have the chance to make history by voting in a
referendum on changing how MPPs are elected to the provincial legislature.
Unfortunately, the voters will be offered only one alternative, which would
allow the losing parties to determine who represents us by having 30 per
cent of the seats appointed from party lists. Which parties get those seats
will be based on proportional party vote, a system which could eliminate the
winning party's margin of victory. This, of course, would lead to more
minority governments, so they would have to resolve the confidence vote
issue or hold elections every year and a half or so.
What this assembly has failed to offer Ontarians is a preferential ballot or
a run-off ballot to ensure that every member was more representative of
their electorate, or a recall mechanism where the members could be replaced
if they misrepresented themselves.
Voting Yes will be giving more power to backroom party hacks who would
appoint members that don't represent a single riding -- but will have the
voting power of the members who do. Ontarians need more democracy, not less.

- Robert White, Waterloo