[fvc-wat-disc] Minutes from July 24

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:22:36 EDT 2007

Sorry for the delay...

Fair Vote Canada - Waterloo Chapter
Executive/Volunteer Meeting
Tuesday, July 24, 2007, 7pm
Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work, rm. 108

Exec Present: Kevin, Derek, Angela
Others Present: Paul, Dave Arthur, Larissa

1.Agenda Approved - yay!
2.Minutes Approved for July 10 - with changes (Shannon not present)
3.Information nights: added Sep 18, Oct 2, dropping Oct 9
4.Swag bag and Supplies
  - Swag bag supplies and display board - need 2nd board, since Afro
Fest and Hillside are on at the same time
  - Changing pie charts to bar graphs
  - MOTION by Derek, seconded by Kevin, to approve the expenditure of
a new display board and colour copies.  Paul will look after it.
  - Approval in principle for Paul to get banner supplies from Len's Mill.
5.Festivals
  - Dragon Boat Festival (July 14) - lot of rain, but did some outreach
  - Afro Fest (July 28) - Derek set up; Paul and Kevin will do
  - Hillside (July 28-29) - Angela will confirm pass logistics
  - Mill Race (Aug 3-5) - haven't heard from Shannon
  - Waterloo Arts Festival (Aug 11-12) - Larissa will contact
  - Mopar Fest - New Hamburg (Aug 18-19) - Angela
  - Youth Festival - Cambridge (Aug 18) - Angela
  - Busker Festival - Waterloo (Aug 23-24) - Paul
  - Kitchener Blues Festival (Aug 9-12) - Paul
  - Wellesley Apple Butter & Cheese Festival (Sep 29) - Angela will contact
  - Oktoberfest - Dave will look into
  - Doors Open (Sep 15) - Derek will look into

 6.Unions and Social Planning Council
  - Talked to Marc Xuereb, CUPE 1883
  - He floated idea of his office as campaign office - we thought
optics not good
  - He also talked about donating people and money - yay
  - Need written proposal - Kevin will work on
  - Need a budget - Kevin, Brian, and Angela will meet
  - CAW took a box of booklets -- Kevin will follow up

 7.Campuses
  - Laurier
     - 3 new people interested
     - Brian hoping to do organizing in August
  - UW  - Trying to get official club status before September
    - VP Internal isn't sure
  - Conestoga College - Brian was to look into - Angela will follow up

 8.Media
  - Got article in Woolwich Observer
  - Angela will write up article for smaller papers
  - David will write articles; keep an eye on the paper
  - Another brief mention in Record article today

9.Multipartisan Launch for September - MPP Connections
  - Angela will ask Shannon about contacting John Milloy
  - NDP - Katherine Fife
  - Green - Judy Greenwood-Speers
  - PC - Ajmer Mandur - Derek will contact
  - Looking at TV/radio personalities
     - George and Tara? 570 News? - Angela
  - Local Businesspeople?
  - CKMS, CJIQ (Conestoga) - Paul will look into

10.Liaising with Provincial
  - Campaign Financing Rules
     - Angela e-mailed Steve Withers about details
  - Angela will ask Steve if we can get a discount on T-Shirts ($20)
  - Provincial buttons are 50 cents; we can make our own, sell for quarter
  - Posters - 8-1/2 " x 11" - ordering 300-400; still waiting
  - Angela asked Steve about translated languages; haven't heard
  - Brochures: Derek will order 3-4 boxes; expecting delivery soon
  - Referendum Ontario and Vote MMP offices open - Angela to send info

11. Panels
  - Kitchener Public Library
     - Kevin will check in with Trudy on this
  - UW "PAN" Event: Sept 19?
     - Panelists: Marcia? Ron? Steve Withers? Brian?
     - Paul will contact Ron

12. Treasurer's Report
  - Kevin needs to sign on to the Credit Union account
     - Our balance is about $200?
  - Campaign Space Rental
     - 741 King - 12x12 - basement - $200/mo.
     - 742 King - 600 sq ft - $400/mo.
     - both include utilities - phone extra
     - we want it from Sep 1 to Oct 15
  [Since then, we've discovered they won't do short-term rental;
    asking Scott Piatkowski for help locating a place]

13. Canvassing
  - Not right now -- need volunteer influx to do this at all.

14. Farmer's Markets
  - EWB are in St. Jacob's Market -- can we do it too?
  - Derek will check with exec
  - Kitchener Farmer's Market is open to non-profits

15. Next Meeting
  - Aug. 21, 2007, 7-9 pm – volunteer meeting @ Lyle S. Hallman, rm. 108
  - Info nights will be held Aug. 7 and 14

16. Adjourned (9:30PM)