[fvc-wat-disc] Media Watch: The Record, Opinion columns, 14 and 17 August 2007

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Aug 17 10:19:22 EDT 2007

Hi:  Two more opinion columns in The Record.  I missed them in the dead-tree
edition, but they're currently still available online.

14 August 2007: Donna Reid, "It's time to change how Ontario elects its
politicians" http://news.therecord.com/Opinions/article/227992

17 August 2007: Joseph Angolano, "Proposed electoral reform would bring host
of problems"  http://news.therecord.com/Opinions/article/229571

Donna Reid quotes many statistics and several of the points presented by the
Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform in favour of MMP.

Joseph Angolano's article appears to be well-researched, with many more
statistics refuting many of Donna Reid's statements.

As a personal observation, my eyes are glazing over from the excessive
statistics.  If we want to bring this issue to average voters then we would
do well to avoid a number-heavy presentation in the mass media.  Once their
interest is piqued they can be referred to a Web site or given a hand-out
with the necessary hard data.

--Bob.

Networking   --   Office & Business Automation   --   Consulting
PGP:0xAE33E989 Fingrprnt:9FAF A6AC B567 BC10 8973 7CF0 CB27 0317