[fvc-wat-disc] Minutes from June 26th meeting

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:30:54 EDT 2007

            Fair Vote Canada - Waterloo Chapter
            Executive/Volunteer Meeting
            Tuesday, June 26, 2007, 6pm
            Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work

Exec Present: Brian, Kevin, Derek, Shannon, Angela (8pm)
Others Present: Paul, Patti

1.Agenda Approved
2.Minutes Approved (added Rick Fairman's name)
3.Referendum Question (released 15 June 2007)
    - very bad formatting (English and French are right together)
    - not yes/no (verbose; status quo first; double-barrelled)
    - Boutrogianni is resigning in disgust
    - work of citizen's assembly not acknowledged in preamble
    - in response, we will publicize the question in our materials

4.Discussion of Environics Poll Implications
    - knowledge of proposal is limited
    - of those that know about it, 55% support it

5.Report on outreach activities
  Non-violence Festival
    – gave out 100 leaflets; ran out partway through
    - contact made with CFRU radio in Guelph
  Multicultural Festival
    - gave out 200 of each leaflet
    - made a number of contacts
  Strategy Discussion
    - banner in front of table: VOTE FOR MMP -- Referendum October 10
    - lesson: don't pay $30 so you can fundraise
    - receipts issued for donations over $10
    - have other display items
    - have blow-up of proposed ballot, wasted votes, women represented
    - laptop displaying videos? (would have to be inside)

6.Decision to purchase Farwell Live (and other media appearances)
    - won't purchase now

7.Inviting OCA members and other prominent people to these meetings
    - interested in getting Edwin Laryea, Ajmer Mandur, and John Milloy
    - Green?  Family Coalition?  University political clubs?
    - plan big multipartisan launch in September
    - other people – debates with opposite side
    - other OCA people not interested (just Marcia and Ron, who's busy)

8.Report on Brian's and Angela's council meetings
    - Angela just came from Woolwich township meeting – well received
    - North Dumfries was interested; Wilmot less so
    - Wellesley next week, Kitchener, Cambridge – Sept; Region - July

9.Report and discussion of campus organizing process
  University of Waterloo
    - on the agenda: need to get recognized as a club (ratified)
    - panel discussion on campus for late July
    - Frosh Week and Clubs Day will be important times
    - 7 people were at the meeting; 11 people signed up
    - seems to be going well
  Laurier
    - Graham is trying to start the clubs process at Laurier
    - Are grad students eligible?
    - Recruit through Facebook?
    - Frosh Week at Laurier is much more alcohol-focused
  Conestoga College
    - contact Frosh Organizing Committee (sez Judy Greenwood-Speers)

10.Report on Social Planning Council outreach
  Kitchener-Waterloo (Kevin)
    - Libraries – Trudy talked to Kitchener Library – they're receptive
        - looking into the library network
    - Labour Council – encouraged them to do a public event with us
    - Neighbourhood Assocs – Networking meeting on Mon Aug 20
        - focus is municipal, but may be able to get in
    - Community Centres – Kevin will drop off brochures/booklets
        - they will package this info and mail it out
    - Multicultural Centre – has English e-mail list, can mail out
translated brochures
        (and sort by language), and put brochures in office
    - Still need to contact the usual hosts for all-candidates' meetings
    - Should talk to Chamber of Commerce and KDBA – see where they're at
  Cambridge (Paul)
    - All-candidates' meeting is on Sep. 20 (focus on labour issues)
    - Neighbourhood Assoc. - Meet 3rd Wednesday of each month
    - said there should be a telephone hot line for more info

11.Union Outreach (Kevin)
    - OSSTF – left msg
    - ETFO – receptive; they've been working with Shannon.
    - CEP – left msg
    - CUPE 1883, 791 – left msgs
    - CAW – Shawn Rouse very interested; they want brochures and booklets
        - will consider $$ in September when they meet again.
    - Labour Council – who's been talking to them??

12.Office Space Report (Kevin)
    - Queen and Joseph looks to be abandoned and for sale - will verify
    - Victoria School Centre and Downtown Community Centre said no
    - Paul had a lead on a 12' x 12' space – possible? Cost?
    - need to fundraise to pay for this

13.Setting up a phone tree
    - Derek will take on phoning a list

14.Monitoring Record (and other resources, e.g. Facebook)
    - we have already assigned people to newspapers in May

15.Planning for NDP Federal Nomination
    - tomorrow, St. Mark's, 7pm.  Brian will bring swag bag, sign-up lists

16.Upcoming Volunteer Schedule
    - Afro Fest (July 28) – 1500 people; $25 fee; Waterloo Park; due July 14
    - Kiwanis Dragon Boat Festival (July 14) - $30 artisan table
    - Hillside (July 27-29) – Neighbourhood Tent – are we in?
        - Kevin called today, waiting to hear, but we're not on the website
    - Cambridge Mill Race Festival – Shannon will check it out (civic
holiday)

17.Planning of Next Information Night (July 10)
    - Angela will do the next evening

18.Finding a new treasurer
    - Kevin is now the secretary-treasurer.  Woohoo!
    - Can we find a new executive member for this position?

19.Financial Report
    - we made $13.50 over the past two weeks in our can.
    - Brian will deposit it

20.Local Papers (Stanley Park, Forest Heights, Snap K-W)
    - Angela will write something up.

21.Next Meeting
    - July 10, 2007, 6-7pm – volunteer meeting