[fvc-wat-disc] Re: appeal to traditionalists

Rick Fairman rickyfairman at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 29 11:11:12 EDT 2007

Hello All
I am about to submit this letter to The Record.  Before doing so I would
like to submit it to your collective scrutiny for potential improvement
and/or correction.  Its aim is to persuade traditionalists.  Did I forget
any important points etc.?  Thanks.  Peace.    Rick.

Those against the proposed change in our electoral system because it would
overthrow 200 years of tradition, would do well to review history.  Is this
tradition truly worth keeping?

Our current electoral system has not served us well:  It renders voters
unequal by virtually disenfranchising one out of two people who bother to
vote.  It effectively dissuades and alienates many voters who don't see any
point in voting since their vote rarely, if ever, translates into
representation.  Of those who do bother, many resort to strategically voting
for the lesser of evils rather than the choice of their conscience.
Moreover, our system distorts election results by allotting disproportional
representation to all parties, and some parties with substantial voter
support no representation at all.  It makes false majority governments of
parties with a minority of voter support.

If the objective were to uphold 200 years of tradition, why then today are
women allowed to vote?  Why are not citizens allowed to hold others as
slaves and personal property?

Today, women can vote and slavery is abolished because some of our forebears
recognized the injustice of those institutions and bid to have them
overthrown.  Just, as today, many recognize the injustices of an institution
from the same era: our current first-past-the-post electoral system.  Many,
likewise, are moved by a moral imperative to correct it.

This is the objective of the Ontario Citizens Assembly and the electoral
reform campaign: that we progress to a new era of truer democracy through
proportional representation.  In the election/referendum of October 10, vote
for Mixed Member Proportional.  It's long overdue.

Richard Fairman
Kitchener