[fvc-wat-disc] Re: appeal to traditionalists

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 11:55:57 EDT 2007

Hi Rick:

Thanks for working on a letter to the editor.  It's so important to get our
work out there!

I'm not sure if these arguments would convince traditionalists.  Sure, there
are bad traditions, but there are also some traditions that we have that are
good, no?

The tradition argument says that the system has worked fairly well for 200
years, so why change it now?

Fair Vote's messaging around this issue is that what we have is OK, but
could use some improvement.  Calling our current system undemocratic doesn't
play well with people according to polling, but talking about making it more
democratic does.

Also, saying that the current system is "virtually disenfranchising one out
of two people who bother to vote" could use some more explanation, or you
might want to leave it off if you don't have space.

Otherwise, good show!

Kevin.