[fvc-wat-disc] Freedom Party opposes MMP

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 22:18:52 EDT 2007

Hi Paul:

        This is interesting. The Freedom Party runs candidates in about a
> quarter of Ontario's ridings, and they are morally opposed to MMP:
>
> http://www.freedomparty.on.ca/mediareleases/2007.05.15.pr.htm

I'm not sure if this argument is unenlightened, or just plain devious.

I am against the absolute rule of the majority trampling on minorities.  We
have some checks and balances in place (like the Chater), and these should
probably be strengthened.

I'm even more against the rule of a small minority of voters (about 25%
these days) hijacking the agenda under the FPTP system.

At least with MMP, policies would have to have the backing of more people,
hopefully approaching a majority viewpoint.

        Also, Orangeville hates MMP (and maybe hates us, too):

Well, I wouldn't base the opinions of a whole town on one local paper
editorial.

Kevin.