[fvc-wat-disc] Freedom Party opposes MMP

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jun 5 23:16:59 EDT 2007

This is what Paul Nijjar <fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> said
about "[fvc-wat-disc] Freedom Party opposes MMP" on 1 Jun 2007 at 14:12

>  	This is interesting. The Freedom Party runs candidates in about a
> quarter of Ontario's ridings, and they are morally opposed to MMP:
>
> http://www.freedomparty.on.ca/mediareleases/2007.05.15.pr.htm
>
>  	I think the basic argument is that the majority should not be
> allowed to overrule the freedoms of individuals, and MMP makes it easier
> for the majority to govern.

   "The Charter wisely prevents governments from bowing to the whims of the majority[...]"

Of course, the fallacy of their argument is that all those whims to which they don't want the
governments to bow, can now be imposed by a minority of voters even when the majority is
opposed.  Just about any other electoral system would prevent rule by the minority.

Networking   --   Office & Business Automation   --   Consulting
PGP:0xAE33E989 Fingrprnt:9FAF A6AC B567 BC10 8973 7CF0 CB27 0317