[fvc-wat-disc] Fair Vote Backgrounder

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jun 28 19:01:39 EDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Derek Kraan wrote:

> I edited what Kevin sent out. Maybe you agree with my modifications, maybe
> not. Read it over and see :)
 	I looked it over today and have the following comments, which you
may or may not take. I chose not to edit the document directly.

0. Title: does not reflect the fact that this referendum is happening.

"Ontario to decide its democratic future in historic October
referendum"

"October referendum: A historic opportunity to improve the way we
vote"

"October referendum: A historic opportunity to make our democracy
better"

1. "Why we need a fairer voting system": this is okay but it misses
the *impacts* of our current system on voters: strategic voting and a
loss of confidence in our democracy. "As a result, increasing numbers
of citizens are losing confidence in their democratic institutions"

(Maybe this is against messaging? It shouldn't be.)

2. "The Ontario government appointed the independent Citizens'..." -->
"The Ontario government initiated the independent Citizens'..."

3. I am not sure we need the bit about the Student Assembly, unless
you are trying to play up the fact that both assemblies reached the
same conclusion.

4. The description of the MMP system is pretty good, but it would be
nice to slip in the idea that the list members are chosen using
processes that must be transparently.

I think the following wording is a little clunky:

"To fill those seats, each party would nominate a list of candidates,
some of whom would win seats depending on the percentage of votes
their party received.  Each party would have the number, or
percentage, of seats its popular vote warrants -- not more, not less."

I don't know whether the following is any better, but it is an attempt
to address the issue:

"In addition to the 90 ridings, parties will win at-large seats so that
the sum of the party's riding seats and at-large seats will be
proportional to its share of the party vote. Before each election,
parties will publish the list of candidates they
propose to fill any at-large seats they win, as well as the selection
process used to choose those candidates."

5. In the paragraph about how MMP increases diversity, it may make
sense to include geographic diversity as well.

6. I would take out the bit about "It's not clear how much education
the government is going to do." I would ignore the government and keep
the focus on grassroots education by citizens and organizations.

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday July 10, 7pm