[fvc-wat-disc] Referendum campaigning rules announced

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 24 12:16:36 EDT 2007

http://www.democraticrenewal.gov.on.ca/english/news/20070523_nr.asp
http://www.democraticrenewal.gov.on.ca/english/news/20070523_bg.asp

 	I don't know how this affects our activities BEFORE September 10.
Maybe we can do whatever we want until then?

 	It looks like this might have serious consequences on political
parties who want to campaign. The Liberals don't want to say anything and
I guess they want to shut up all of the other parties as well. Or am I
misunderstanding something?

Here's the first press release:

     TORONTO, May 23 /CNW/ - The October 2007 referendum on electoral
reform will be supported by a transparent referendum campaign process,
the Minister Responsible for Democratic Renewal, Marie Bountrogianni
announced today.

     "We expect that some individuals and groups will want to campaign in
favour of one system or the other. It's important that this debate be
open and transparent," said Bountrogianni. "That's why the government
has set rules for referendum campaign advertising."

     The Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform's report, One Ballot -
Two Votes: A New Way to Vote in Ontario, recommends that Ontario adopt a
new Mixed Member Proportional system. A referendum on this
recommendation will take place in conjunction with the next general
election on October 10, 2007.

      Individuals or groups who choose to advertise in favour of one
outcome or the other will be required to meet financial disclosure and
reporting requirements. For example, those spending over $500 on
advertising must register with Elections Ontario and file a report
detailing advertising spending and contributions. Political parties and
constituency associations will be prohibited from registering.

     The referendum on electoral reform is a one-time event. As a result,
referendum campaigns must return any surplus funds to contributors. This
will help protect the integrity of the referendum campaign finance
regime.  Under the Election Finances Act, independent candidates return
their surpluses to Elections Ontario.

     The referendum on electoral reform is a one-time event. As a result,
referendum campaigns must return any surplus funds to contributors. This
will help protect the integrity of the referendum campaign finance
regime.  Under the Election Finances Act, independent candidates return
their surpluses to Elections Ontario.

     These new rules will apply to the campaign period only. This period
will begin on September 10, 2007. This will allow 29 days for
campaigning. No advertising will be permitted on polling day or the day
before.

     "We've put these rules in place to ensure campaigns are carried out
with integrity and to provide Ontarians with the information they need
to evaluate campaign advertising," said Bountrogianni.

     The referendum question will be announced in the weeks ahead. The
government will set a question that is clear, concise and impartial. The
question will appear on the ballot in both English and French.

--
Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday June 12, 7pm