[fvc-wat-disc] Another opportunity for letters

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:14:16 EDT 2007

Thanks, Ari.  Just sent the following:

Thanks to John Roe for some overdue education in Friday's Record
around the Mixed-Member Proportional system that Ontarians will vote
on for the October 10 referendum.

A couple of points:

For the 39 list seats, all parties have committed to selecting these
members democratically under the MMP system.  The member lists, and
how they were chosen, will be known to voters before the election, so
they can vote against a party who has a list of hacks who don't
represent voters.  The list members will ultimately be responsible to
voters, just like the riding representatives are.

Coalition governments can be quite stable, and have worked well in
other countries.  The "frontroom" negotiations are exactly what we
need for a legislature which truly represents Ontarians, and needs to
compromise on divisive issues.  This is much better than a one-party
phony majority with absolute power ramming legislation through, which
happens all too often under the current system.

People I've talked to have mostly welcomed this change, breathing
fresh air into our democratic system.  Please join with me in voting
for Mixed-Member Proportional on October 10.

Kevin Smith