[fvc-wat-disc] Thank you

Angela Yenssen ayenssen at rogers.com
Thu Oct 11 23:13:21 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I've sent a few messages out tonight trying to organize some of the post
referendum clean up.  I did want to send one last message out solely to
thank all of you for your fantastic work on this campaign.  I think we took
on a lot of projects considering the small size of our group and we should
feel very proud of our efforts.  The dedication each of you has demonstrated
to this cause has been truly inspiring for me.  I have been so privileged to
meet and work with all of you.  I hope that you will consider staying
connected with the Fair Vote Canada Chapter of Waterloo Region as I hope to
keep the chapter going and continue to raise awareness in our region about
the cause of fair voting in the future.

I intend to obtain a breakdown of the referendum results for each poll in
the four ridings in our region from Elections Ontario.  I will send out a
notice to anyone still remaining on this e-mail list once I obtain the poll
reports and offer the opportunity for us to meet to review the results for
personal interest and for developing strategy for any future voting reform
awareness efforts.

Although last night's result was disappointing, we cannot give up the fight.
As long as we continue to speak the truth about the distorted democracy we
are suffering under first past the post, there is still hope for change.  I
am heartened by the statistic that 67% of people in the 18 - 34 demographic
supported MMP, according to a poll conducted before the referendum.  This
information, combined with the amazing efforts of the members of our Vote
for MMP team from Wilfrid Laurier University, give me hope that this
referendum was not the end of a journey, but instead the beginning of a
change process that might yet come to fruition in my lifetime.  Going
forward with faith, hope, and a strong voice is the only way to keep alive
the possibility of a better democracy, and with it, a better province for
everyone.

Thank you again for taking up this cause with such enthusiasm.  I wish all
of you well with whatever joys and sorrows fate brings across your paths
both in your activism and in your personal lives.

Angela