[fvc-wat-disc] It's not over

ARI DAIGEN adaigen at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 11 15:08:14 EDT 2007

>don't think you should give up the idea of changing the political politics
>of
>Ontario or Canada, but you should set it aside and hold the politicians
>accountable under the current system for more important things, like the
>environment. This is where I think we as a whole society need to focus our
>attention on now, before it is too late, and personally I think you will
>find a
>whole lot more people backing you up.

I have mixed feelings on this.

True, there are other pressing issues, notably the environment and the
condition of billions of our fellow human beings. However, voting and
winning votes is the most basic way to effect change, and within our own
little corner of the world, the voices for social justice and environmental
responsibility are muffled (if perhaps not quite squelched) by an electoral
system rigged in favour of the status quo.

Within Canada at least, I see electoral reform as one of the most important
changes needed to bring better government. For this reason, I don't think we
should let this issue die.

Best,

Ari