[fvc-wat-disc] letters or comments needed

ARI DAIGEN adaigen at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 27 21:35:35 EDT 2007

I just sent the following one.

Best,

Ari

"The upcoming referendum on electoral reform is a tremendous opportunity to
make a better democracy in Ontario. Unfortunately, many are confused by or
worried about the proposed new voting system.

Many people, such as Dave Echlin (Letters, Sept.27) have been misinformed
that the proposed Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP) system would create
"appointed" members of Parliament. They need not worry.

Under MMP, everyone would have two votes. One would be for a local
representative. The other would be for a provincial party. Additional
members of Parliament would be added so that each party's share of seats was
equal to its share of the provincewide vote. (This is far more
representative than the present system, which continually elects "majority"
governments with far less than 50% of the vote.)

The additional members would not be "appointed", but would come from party
lists, so if a party's share of the vote entitled it to five extra seats,
the top five candidates on that party's list would get seats. Party lists
would be made public before the election, just like local candidates are
chosen in advance. Voters will know who is on each party's list, and may
vote for or against parties based on this."