[fvc-wat-disc] State of democracy in Kitchener (not good)

Angela Yenssen ayenssen at rogers.com
Fri Sep 28 19:41:24 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Just want to let you know that despite my multiple protests and pleadings
and righteous indignation, the City of Kitchener has cancelled my appearance
at city council on Monday evening.  I tried to schedule an appearance in the
summer and was told then that the issue was not relevant until
September/October.  Now that September/October has arrived, I am told that I
cannot present because Fair Vote Canada is now a registered referendum
campaign (vote for MMP) and if I was allowed to present all candidates
running for office would have to be allowed to present to council which is
apparently not appropriate. I was also told I could not be at the council
meeting because they could not have me present without having the NO side
present.  So, I'm not sure if the problem is seeing me without a NO person
or seeing me because I am campaigning for something since they gave me both
explanations for not allowing me to present (kind of like a no win
scenario).  The Kitchener Centre referendum resource officer will be
presenting and that presentation is more appropriate because it is neutral,
or so I am told.  This decision apparently was made between the city clerk
and Mayor Zehr although I assured the clerk that my presentation would be
emphasizing public education in the same way as Brian Tanguay did when
presenting to the regional council (which Mayor Zehr attended) in the
summer.  I thought any of you who vote in Kitchener municipal elections
would want to know this information.  On a positive note, I suppose this
allows me to devote some time to canvassing on Monday night.  The
neighbourhood around Kitchener City Hall sounds like a good location to
start canvassing, what do you think?

Angela