[fvc-wat-disc] Fair Vote Canada Internal Referendum on AV

Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Fri Jan 4 20:11:22 EST 2013

Hello FVC Waterloo supporters. Fair Vote Canada is having an internal referendum on whether to support Alternative Vote in municipalities. You will have received an email about this from Fair Vote Canada with a link to the position to the position paper from advocates for Option A and Option B. If you are a paid member you will receive instructions on how to vote probably in the next day or two.

As someone who has been very involved with Fair Vote Canada for the last four years, I wanted to share my personal position on this referendum question, as well as the statement by our local chapter exec. Feel free to discuss on this list!

http://voteforoptiona.webs.com/ (go to "Vote for PR Now")

Thanks,

Anita

Recommendation to Vote A for Appropriate

As members of the Fair Vote Waterloo Region chapter executive, we’d like to express our views on the upcoming referendum.

First, we are members of the Waterloo Region chapter of Fair Vote Canada. The fact that some people in Toronto want to elect their municipal council using a non-proportional voting method, should have no bearing on us.

Second, our understanding of Fair Vote Canada is that it advocates for proportional representation. The RaBIT voting system, by their own admission, is not a proportional voting system.

Therefore, we do not find Option B to be appropriate. Local politics should not derail the long-established policy and advocacy direction of a national organization such as Fair Vote Canada. This would have negative consequences for Fair Vote Canada's campaigns at every level. The RaBIT group may certainly argue their case to Torontonians, but should not seek to influence a national organization advocating proportional representation.

Shannon Adshade, Co-Chair
Sharon Sommerville, Co-Chair
Aden Seaman, Treasurer
Sean Haberlin, Member-At-Large