[fvc-wat-disc] Solarium not a suitable room

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:43:55 EST 2013

Thank you for the feedback, Eleanor.

The room was far from ideal, mainly due to the noise this time making it
hard to hear Joyce, who couldn't seem to yell. My original idea was that
she would move from one table to the next, but the talk and Q+A took up
most of the time - that was my fault, in that I needed to cut it off and
then redirect to that format.

When I booked the Duke, the lady told me Sunday was their quietest night of
the week, so I didn't anticipate that amount of drunken noise at 6:30 on a
Sunday. I asked no less than five people individually in FVC and Cooperate
for suggestions of different places close to downtown Waterloo before I
booked the Duke, and nobody could come up with anything more workable. I
needed to make a decision and accommodate when Joyce could come and pick
something where the two venues were close together since the events were
back to back.

It's difficult to book a restaurant/bar type place when you can't really
tell them in advance if you will have ten people or 40. They often require
a minimum number to give you a private space with big tables or reserve
tables.

I also don't like using a place where you have to buy something, so I
really understand that. I just bought a diet pepsi.

Community centres we often book for "big" events - that room at the Adult
Rec Centre would have been a good location again but it is $33 an hour -
our typical events there including set up and clean up cost $120. Again, I
wasn't expecting more than a small crowd this time as it wasn't a FVC
event. Our budget has been zero dollars and I'm not in a position
financially right now to fund these things myself.

It was the same thing with the Button Factory for the concert. I would have
preferred somewhere accessible. James and I both looked around for
something we could afford that was available on that night but no luck.

I would love it if you could help me by putting together a list of places.
I think that would help a lot of little groups, actually!

Anita